[CAFR-L] Andy's letter

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Feb 13 12:27:31 MST 2008

Hi all,

Bryson and I started outlining a fairly aggressive response to Andy's
letter. We'd like to talk to Kent, the other member of the drafting
group, and see what we can put together before we circulate it on a
publicly-archived list. But once we think we have something, we'll post
it here for comment, review, and signature.

I think this time, the idea will be to make him put his money and time
where his mouth is. We said Andy's ability to give us an appropriate
response would determine our level of confidence in him. I don't think
we could pull off a confidence vote this early in his term. But I do
think there are ways of indicating forcefully just how unpleasant life
in the academe can be when you let the lawyers convince you to
trivialise faculty concerns about core institutional values like
academic freedom as personnel issues that can't be discussed.

He's the provost--it's time he lived up to the title in a sense other
than "keeper of the prisoners."

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Department Chair and Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/

Department of English
Vox +1 403 329-2377