[CAFR-L] Some more laughs from the new reappointment process

Kent Peacock kent.peacock at uleth.ca
Sun Jan 15 03:16:00 MST 2012

Colleagues --

I've been trying to grasp the new rule (that Dan quotes below) from an
algebraic point of view.

This is difficult, because there are at least two key ambiguities in the
rule given.  First, it does not state whether "membership" means the
number of persons who are supposed to be on the committee, or the number
who actually happen to be present when the vote is taken.  Second, it
does not state what the threshold is for---is it the threshold for
reappointment, or the threshold for failure of reappointment?  That is,
does the reappointment fail if the incumbent gets a number of no votes
equal to the threshold, or one more than the threshold?

As Dan suggests, on the face of it the rule does not make mathematical
sense.  I'm going to suggest a charitable interpretation here, and I
want a consulting fee for it.

Forging ahead, for simplicity, let's take it that "membership" means the
number of people who are supposed to be on the committee.  Define some
terms:

M = membership

Y = number of yes votes (i.e., votes in favour of reappointment)

Now if for further simplicity we assume there are no abstentions, then M
- Y = the number of negative votes.  But as with the old system, on my
charitable reading the number of negative votes and/or abstentions
doesn't matter.

Let T(M,Y) be the threshold function.

Now, the quoted rule seems to state the following:

T(M,Y) = M - Y + 1.

The explanation of how this is to be applied is garbled and ambiguous in
the ways noted above.  However, let us for the sake of argument take it
that the authors of the rule /meant/ to say that the number of yes votes
must exceed the threshold. Read this way, it at least makes some sense.
Perhaps part of the the intent was to have a nifty formula that would
apply to all appointment committees, regardless of their size.

Okay, on my charitable interpretation, we have

Y > M - Y + 1.

That is,

Y > (M + 1) /2.

Say M = 10.  Then the threshold for reappointment is 11/2 = 5.5.  That
is, 6 yes votes will yield a pass on a 10-member committee.  Perhaps, if
my charitable interpretation of the GFC rule is correct, this is an
attempt to rewrite history (or, at least, a certain piece of recent
history).

All the best,

Kent