[CAFR-L] Have you guys seen this?

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Fri Jan 27 19:38:43 MST 2012

Has anybody seen this yet?

> Student evaluations: (a) probationary and Term Appointment members -
> student evaluations for all courses; (b) continuing and tenured
> members - at least one evaluation for each level of course taught
> during the two-year biennial evaluation cycle. Student evaluations
> must be conducted using the Faculty-approved questionnaire. For each
> course evaluated, the Department Chair or other Assessor shall
> provide a fair summary of the raw data to the member, and shall
> provide this fair summary to the Dean’s Office, as supporting
> documentation for the Chair or other Assessor’s assessment of the
> members teaching performance.

The key sentences of this are at the end:

  Student evaluations
> must be conducted using the Faculty-approved questionnaire.

For each
> course evaluated, the Department Chair or other Assessor shall
> provide a fair summary of the raw data to the member, and shall
> provide this fair summary to the Dean’s Office, as supporting
> documentation for the Chair or other Assessor’s assessment of the
> members teaching performance.

This is a major, unnegotiated, revision of the handbook and a major
infringement of academic freedom. a) We do not get a fair summary, we
get the complete evaluation; b) There is no requirement that we use the
(appalling poor) A&S evaluation; c) /We/ decide what goes to the deans
office, not the chair or the dean; d) We cannot be required to introduce
an administrative document into our pedagogical space: if (for example),
we consider the A&S form to be disruptive to proper pedagogy--as one
might, given how badly it is written and how out of step it is with
current research on best practice in course evaluation--are the deans
and chairs say we need to wreck our class anyway?

My God! This is worse than normal.