[dm-l] EPT

Dot Porter dporter at uky.edu
Fri Jun 10 12:14:25 MDT 2005

The EPT (Edition Production Technology) is designed, as James says below, as
"a tool for assisting less-technical resource creators to develop more
sophisticated electronic editions." It is designed and developed through the
Electronic Boethius and ARCHway Projects (both with PI Kevin Kiernan) at the
University of Kentucky.

The EPT enables an editor to:

1) Create a project by importing digital images, transcript (which can be a
pre-existing XML document, or a text document with no markup), and a DTD or
set of DTDs. (Details on what I mean by "set of DTDs" - not TEI tagsets! -
can be found by following the tutorial links on the demo site, see below).

2) Insert markup into this project through user-friendly, completely
configurable markup templates. In the EPT the editor views text & image
side-by-side, and the markup software includes functionality for connecting
pieces of text with the corresponding image sections.

3) The full version of EPT includes additional tools for more advanced
editing - collation (tools for both types - comparing versions of the same
text, and describing the structure of the physical object), statistical
analysis, paleographic description, glossary development.

There are obvious start-up costs involved here - it's not simple to get
started. You'll need to have your images and transcript (though it is
possible to transcribe-as-you-go, if you import a blank text file into a new
project). You'll need to have your DTD, and if you're concerned about
overlapping markup you'll need to divide that DTD into smaller, well-formed
DTDs (the demo example projects come with such DTDs, based on TEI, which
you're welcome to use as-is and extend for your own projects). You'll also
need to do a fair amount of configuration. On top of this, you'll need to
learn to use the software, which has a fairly steep learning curve. Once the
project is created and the software has been configured to suit the project,
though, any editor comfortable with point-and-click technology should be
able to create the electronic edition.

For a nifty article on using the EPT to help solve an editorial problem, see
Kevin Kiernan's article "The source of the Napier fragment of Alfred's
Boethius" in the inaugural issue of the Digital Medievalist journal
(http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/article.cfm?RecID=5).

For the history of the EPT, and a discussion of the early aims &
developments of the software and the relationship between eBo and ARCHway,
see the article "The ARCHway Project: Architecture for Research in Computing
for Humanities through Research, Teaching, and Learning" (Kiernan et al.),
forthcoming in Literary and Linguistic Computing (abstract at
http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/fqi018?ijkey=a2FHqg7XTTUL
MJz&keytype=ref - full text is available online if your library subscribes
to LLC online). Note that this article is based on our presentations at
ACH/ALLC 2003 so some of the specifics are out of date.

For a working demo, including text projects and tutorials for getting
started with your own projects, visit
http://rch01.rch.uky.edu/~ept/download/

The source code for the EPT is being released in stages, corresponding with
the finishing dates of the two supporting projects. The ARCHway Project
finished at the end of January, and the source code for that project, the
"Development EPT", will be released very shortly. The Development EPT is a
general version of the EPT. It lacks some of the editing functionality in
the Stable EPT - it has the basic image-text linking, but lacks the more
specialized tools described above in #3. The Development EPT is designed to
be extended - if you have access to computer science support (an RA with
experience coding JAVA, especially using the Eclipse development platform),
you can extend the Development EPT to serve the particular needs of your
individual project. I will post to the list as soon as the Development EPT
code is available.

The "Stable EPT" is under continuing development by Kevin Kiernan and Emil
Iacob through the Electronic Boethius project. The code for this version is
not yet available, but if you're interested in more information about this
version please contact Kevin at kiernan at uky.edu.

James mentions our upcoming presentations and demos at ACH/ALLC (14-18 June,
Victoria Canada). If you're attending the meeting, you'll have plenty of
chances to see the software and talk with us about how EPT might suit your
projects. Put us on your schedule!

Thursday, 2:30 pm: Paper, Emil Iacob and Alex Dekhtyar, "Concurrent Markup
Hierarchies: a Computer Science Approach"
[http://mustard.tapor.uvic.ca/cocoon/ach_abstracts/xq/xhtml.xq?id=174]

Friday, 9:00 am: 3 paper session, "The Edition Production Technology (EPT)
and the ARCHway and Electronic Boethius Projects"
[http://mustard.tapor.uvic.ca/cocoon/ach_abstracts/xq/xhtml.xq?id=176]

Friday, 2:30 pm: 2 demos, "Edition Production Technology: an Eclipse-Based
Platform for Building Image-Based Electronic Editions"
[http://mustard.tapor.uvic.ca/cocoon/ach_abstracts/xq/xhtml.xq?id=178]
and "The ARCHway Software Infrastructure: a Demo of a Platform and Utilities
for Building Applications for Electronic Editions"
[http://mustard.tapor.uvic.ca/cocoon/ach_abstracts/xq/xhtml.xq?id=177]

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Dot

Dorothy Carr Porter
Program Coordinator, Research in Computing for Humanities
3-51/3-52 William T. Young Library
University of Kentucky
Lexington, KY  40391
859-257-9549                      http://www.rch.uky.edu