[dm-l] A New Digital Resource for Historians of Islamic Art and Culture:

William Noel wnoel at thewalters.org
Wed Jul 13 07:43:45 MDT 2011

A New Digital Resource for Historians of Islamic Art and Culture:

The Islamic Manuscripts of the Walters Art Museum

With the help of a Preservation and Access Grant from the National
Endowment for the Humanities, and with additional funding from an
anonymous donor, the Walters At Museum  is pleased to announce the
completion of its program to create digital surrogates of its collection
of Islamic manuscripts and single leaves. All the data is licensed for
use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0
UnportedAccess Rights,
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode> . Images
are free for any noncommercial use, provided you follow the terms of the
license. There is no need to apply to the Walters prior to using the
images.

Highlights of the collection include a fifteenth-century Timurid Qur'an
(Ms. W.563); a late seventeenth-century copy of the Book on Navigation
by Piri Reis (Ms. W.658); and a sixteenth-century de luxe Mughal
manuscript of Amir Khusrau Dhilavi's Khamsa (Ms. W.624).  As you will
see, images were taken of all parts of the manuscript, including the
binding, fore-edge, and spine.  Text pages were imaged at 600 dpi;
illuminated pages were taken at up to 1200 dpi.  The manuscripts have
been catalogued by Adam Gacek (Principal Cataloguer) and Amy Landau. The
details are as follows.

The data is up at:

http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/ <http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/>

The general ReadMe file is at:

http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/03_ReadMe.html
<http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/03_ReadMe.html>

The technical ReadMe file is at:

http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/04_TechnicalReadMe.html
<http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/04_TechnicalReadMe.html>

The easiest way to access the raw data is at:

http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/01_ACCESS_WALTERS_MANUSCRIPTS.html
<http://www.thedigitalwalters.org/01_ACCESS_WALTERS_MANUSCRIPTS.html>

As you will see, the Islamic Manuscripts are fully catalogued in XML
according to  TEI P5 guidelines. You will see English, German, Dutch,
Armenian, Byzantine, and Ethiopian Manuscripts up there as well, but
these have not yet been fully catalogued, so don't expect any TEI for
them yet: we are in the middle of that process.

Obviously, although this is our core data, this presentation of the
material is not primarily for the general public.  We have two main
portals for user-friendly derivatives of our data.  All our illustrated
pages we post on Flickr, for which check out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/medmss/sets/
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/medmss/sets/>

We also publish full PDFs for download of all our manuscripts on the
Walters Website:  For example:

http://art.thewalters.org/viewwoa.aspx?id=23935
<http://art.thewalters.org/viewwoa.aspx?id=23935>

Just under the title of the manuscript, you will see that you can
download the PDF. The PDF begins with a full human readable catalogue
description of the manuscript, transformed as part of the PDF from the
TEI XML.

We do hope that this resource will prove useful to you in your work and
play.  We would be grateful if you would let your colleagues know about
it. If you administer a list-serve, than we would be grateful if you
would let your readers know about it.

We would also be most grateful for your feedback, and to hear any
questions you may have. Please contact us at alandau at thewalters.org,
wnoel at thewalters.org, or mss-curator at thewalters.org
<https://email.hood.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx> .

Thank you very much