[globaloutlookDH-l] Session on Africa at the Congress of the Social Sciences and Humanities in Victoria this June?

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Dec 3 09:43:04 MST 2012

Hi all,

Things are proceeding apace with the charter from the ADHO steering
committee. I've been asked to tighten some language and provide
additional information about concrete activities we are undertaking, but
I believe we are close to finishing the proposal.

Having the proposal accepted will be an important first step for the
idea we had of running a special session on DH in and on China: as
you'll remember, we put together what looked like it might be a decent
programme as the DH deadline came, but, partially as a result of how new
we are, were unable to finalise the speakers in time to place a
competitive proposal. We are hoping once we are approved at ADHO to ask
for some time for a special sponsored session instead.

Another opportunity is rapidly approaching as well: the Canadian Society
for Digital Humanities meeting in Victoria from 3-5 June (submission
deadline December 17): http://csdh-schn.org/2012/11/16/cfp2013/ Since
this meeting also abuts the Digital Humanities Summer Institute
(something that is going to become a regular feature of the Congress),
this may also provide a very constructive opportunity for speakers to
work closely with others from the larger community.

For this one, I was thinking that it might be interesting to put
together a session on DH in Africa. Titi Babalola who is a member of
this list and a graduate student in English here at Lethbridge has just
written a very interesting paper on impediments to and promises of DH in
Nigeria, which I think could make for a very interesting contribution.
We have also been discussing DH issues with the organisers of the
Afro-Hispanic conference scheduled for this Spring which will deal in
part in a more general way with some of the same issues. There was just
a discussion in the Chronicle about development issues in Higher
Education in Africa, including the need for networking initiatives such
as ours. And finally, the president of the Canadian Funding agency, Chad
Gaffield (a long time friend of our discipline) was one of a number of
people who approvingly retweeted a reference to our proposal to ADHO.

We still have two weeks to put together the three papers we would need.
If members of this group thought this was an interesting idea, I'd be
willing to work with anybody who was interested in in putting together
some language for a call later this week. I spoke with our Vice
President Research, and it seems like we might even be able to use some
of the money the University of Lethbridge is providing to provide
partial travel support to speakers from Africa who might not be
otherwise able to make it to Victoria... though of course the amount
available is quite limited. We could put in for a "Connections" grant as
well to find support.

What do you think? If we are going to do it, we should act this week to
get the call out.