[globaloutlookDH-l] DH session proposal "Chinese DH"

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:28:51 MDT 2012

I'd be willing to serve as a respondent, maybe together with Marcus. (I'm
not 100% sure I can attend in person and neither is Marcus. If worst comes
to worse I would be willing to participate remotely via Skype et.al.)

BTW, I think technically what we are aiming for is what the CFP describes as
a 90-minute panel with 4 - 6 speakers, for which one 750-1500 word abstract
is required and an indication that each speaker is willing to participate in
the session.

All the best,

Christian

On 2012-11-02 03:15, O'Donnell, Dan wrote:
> So #1 = Joey. 2 more speakers + a respondent & we have a roundtable!
>

> Sent from Samsung tablet
>
> 洪振洲 <jenjou.hung at ddbc.edu.tw> wrote:
> hi all:
>
>    no matter it would be a session or a round table discussion, if
> there are slots still available, I am happy to join. I can share my
> knowledge about the digitization activity for Buddhist Cultural
> Heritage, also I would like to throw some basic ideas and to discuss
> with all of you about how we can spread the DH idea to Chinese
> researcher, and how/what practical training course we can/should
> provide to them. But in fact, I vote for a round table discussion,
> since it is not easy for me to prepare a proper abstract in two days.
>
> all the best
>
> joey
>
> 2012/11/2 O'Donnell, Dan <daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca>:
>> I doubt we could get paper abstracts in the next two days as well. But for a roundtable all we need is a session abstract & speakers' names I believe.
>>
>> I was thinking that if we did that (a roundtable), your draft would make a good abstract. All we'd need would be the names  .
>>
>> My 2 cents, anyway.
>>

>> Sent from Samsung tablet
>>
>> Marcus Bingenheimer <m.bingenheimer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am somewhat skeptical that a full panel can be arranged in the next
>> few days, because we would need full abstracts. Nevertheless, we can
>> try: here is an edited draft of the proposal that Jieh and perhaps
>> Mitsu might want to expand on. All we would need would be concrete
>> suggestions for speakers and topics (and abstracts). I have added one
>> speaker for "Digitization of Buddhist Cultural Heritage" ideally
>> someone from DDBC (Joey, will you be going?), if not there is still
>> Christian or myself.
>> I would much hope Prof. Jieh Hsiang could chair the panel. That would
>> be a great help for both Chinese DH and GO::DH.
>>

>> First draft:
>> ============================
>> GO:DH Session on “Chinese DH”
>>
>> 90 min panel / 4-6 speakers
>> The newly founded ADHO initiative Global Outreach (GO::DH) aims to
>> facilitate communication between the various ADHO committees and
>> emergent DH groups and activities in countries which are not yet well
>> represented within ADHO. This session proposal is one of GO::DH
>> attempts to raise the visibility of underrepresented communities, in
>> this case, of work done in the Chinese speaking world.
>> Like all cultures, China is faced with the question of how to model
>> its cultural heritage in a digital environment. Comparable only to
>> India in historic range, geographic size, and population, there are
>> various initiatives in China, Hongkong and Taiwan that work on
>> solutions to digitize and distribute their shared cultural heritage.
>> After successful international cooperation yielded the Unicode
>> standard, which resolved the pressing issue of how to represent the
> [...]

Christian Wittern, Kyoto