[globaloutlookDH-l] GO::DH planning document
siemens at uvic.ca
Thu Oct 11 18:59:54 MDT 2012
Hi Dan, and all,
This is really exciting! (and apologies that I wasn't available for the earlier phone conference about this.)
I've enjoyed the way in which you lay out the scope of the involvement, never really having thought of it in that way before.
Any questions I had as I read largely fell into the category #3 that you outline below. How, for example, might GO::DH integrate with the outreach we've got going on in Havana in and around our INKE gathering there in early December? (If you had some thoughts, we might be able to join forces; here, for our conference and in relation to initiatives begun at UVa, Alex Gil is laying some excellent foundations ... building on his work also for THATCamp Caribe.)
R.G. Siemens, English, University of Victoria, PO Box 3070 STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada. V8W 3W1.
Clearihue C315 & B043b P:250.721.7255 F:250.721.6498 siemens at uvic.ca http://web.uvic.ca/~siemens/
From: globaloutlookdh-l-bounces at uleth.ca [mailto:globaloutlookdh-l-bounces at uleth.ca] On Behalf Of Daniel O'Donnell
Sent: October-11-12 2:57 PM
To: globaloutlookDH-l at uleth.ca
Subject: [globaloutlookDH-l] GO::DH planning document
I've just posted a copy of a draft planning document for Global Outlook DH to google docs:
Marcus, Neil, and I have all looked at it. Before it goes to the SC, I'd really appreciate your comments and suggestions.
This is a draft, of course, and we expect to make changes.
Neil had three questions that he thought needed answering more clearly before things went to the SC:
1) Membership: is this a case of the more the merrier--anyone who wants in can join?
2) What mechanisms might we need to coordinate the project's activities with the formal ADHO committees whose work it might intersect?
3) I get a clear picture of the project's goals but a cloudy one of how they are actually going to be accomplished. How would the project do its work? My question is concretely what forms would these investigations take and how would they proceed? That is the part that seems vague to me. I'm looking for a statement that would begin something like:
"Outreach would take three primary forms: . . . " These can range from the ad hoc and casual to some things that are more systematic: e.g., "we will break into geographical interest groups, with each group responsible for assessing the needs of and opportunities in their region, making a list of contacts," and so on
Personally, my answers would be:
1) Yes, wide open
2) We should see this group's function primarily as research, advocacy, and facilitation, rather than execution (which is more the domain of the committees themselves)
3) Suggestions for concrete actions?
The document can be edited as it is in Google Docs, or you can simply comment back to the list. I told Neil (who is also on this list) that we'd try to have a final version ready for him next week.
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Professor of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1K 3M4
+1 403 393-2539
globaloutlookdh-l mailing list
globaloutlookdh-l at uleth.ca
More information about the globaloutlookdh-l