[globaloutlookDH-l] Thinking about organisation

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Oct 15 10:49:48 MDT 2012

Hi all,

Picking up on Neil's questions, I've been thinking about the
organisational issue and the tasks issue over the weekend, and, indeed,
discussing them with Titi.

In terms of organisation, it seems to me that the most efficient use of
everybody's time might be to set ourselves up along the lines of a
Special Interest Group. This would mean that there was no set limit on
membership, which given our interest would be counterproductive anyway.

Within this group, people have clearly different interests and more
importantly knowledge of local conditions and people, so it seems to me
to make sense to allow the larger group to organise into different
working groups: e.g. Africa, Middle East, China, India/Pakistan,
Southern Asia, etc. It seems to me that we can be relatively agnostic
about how (and whether) these groups form. We clearly have a large group
interested in China already: that seems to me to represent a solid
opportunity to build a little work group; we have fewer people thinking
about the Middle East at the moment, so there's not really a need,
probably, for a working group there till we get some people.

In my experience, nothing ever gets done if there isn't some leadership
on a group like this, so perhaps it might make sense to have a small
executive of 4-6 people who could act as point people--helping
facilitate ideas as they develop and keeping the rest of us up-to-date
on what's going on.

What do people think? I'm a big fan of letting administration grow
organically and not wasting too much time at the beginning planning
structures before you get a sense for how things will develop. But it
seems to me that we could even now benefit from an exec+membership
model, defining ourselves as a SIG, and perhaps organising a
China-Focussed working group.