[globaloutlookDH-l] Tasks

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Oct 15 15:06:50 MDT 2012

Thanks Ray! I'd be really interested in hearing what you, Neil, and
Howard think about this, given your experience. But my two cents, based
largely on my TEI experience...

I think "resource" is the best way of describing the relationship. I.e.
As a group of people who have connections, are interested, and are
willing to do things like bring forward initiatives.

In exchange, I think what ADHO and its committees might want to do is to
make it easy to bring things before them. In some cases that might
involve coopting somebody on GO::DH for a specific project or to observe
and/or participate in discussions (this is something MLMC does all the
time when they need people with specific understandings, backgrounds, or
experiences). In others it might involve asking for advice on how
researchers outside our usual world might be brought in... or contacts.
In yet others it might involve setting aside space for a conference
session or similar.

In terms of CO representation, I don't see anything at all wrong with
that. In a certain sense, for example, I and you represent CSDH-SCHN,
since we were tasked with thinking about this for them last year; and I
understand that Glen was in a similar way with ACH. While these were not
specific briefs for this group, there's no reason we couldn't involve
the COs more.

My concern in relation to ADHO is not to step on existing committee's
toes, since I think our interest is regional and across activities,
rather than pan regional, but focussed on a specific activity. However,
since I have the impression most if not all of the COs are interested in
this, it might make sense to have some kind of representation (and,
indeed, help improve GO::DH's ability to stay in the loop).

What do you think? I think we don't want to be a committee, but we might
well want to have CO representation, now you mention it. I hadn't really
considered that before.

-dan