[globaloutlookDH-l] Terms of reference, redux

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Oct 16 09:29:26 MDT 2012

Here is the state of play in terms of the GO::DH structure and terms of
reference as I understand the discussion. If this seems reasonable, I
could add it to the draft description I sent round and we could submit
it to the ADHO Steering Committee for discussion.

1) The organisation is a Special Interest Group focussed on ensuring
issues in the global participation in DH are part of our general
discourse at ADHO and serving as a facilitator between ADHO, its
committees, COs, and members and those communities that are not
represented by ADHO in any significant fashion.

2) Tasks include advocacy, research, and facilitation. GO::DH is not a
replacement or competitor for any ADHO committee: its goal is to act as
a resource and prompt, rather than an executor.

3) There is no limit on general membership. The important thing is that
you are interested in the issue(s).

4) The group is to be led by a small executive made up of people who are
willing to take a more active role in proposing activities, interacting
with ADHO, conducting research, and the like. Ideally this will involve
people with interests in various parts of the globe.

5) Participation by ADHO COs and committees would be extremely welcome
if this seems wise to them and the ADHO SC: two possibilities for this
participation might be that each CO appoint a representative to the
GO::DH executive, or, if a lighter footprint is desired, that the SC
appoint a couple of representatives to act for all (my preference would
be the first option, I think).

6) When it seems desirable or practical, the SIG would break into
smaller working groups focussed on a particular region or problem.
Currently there is probably enough interest and participation for a
group on China, for example.

I hope this is both accurate and the right combination of useful
structure with minimal overhead and maximum flexibility. What do others
think?