[globaloutlookDH-l] Terms of reference, redux

Neil Fraistat nfraistat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 10:43:48 MDT 2012

Dan and all,

I, too, am eager to hear what the rest of the group thinks about the points
below. For now, I'd like to suggest that the two options you offer in point
5 might be supplemented by a third: that GO::DH have ex officio
representation from the related ADHO committees, as opposed to the CO's
themselves: those committees that would be relevant include Admissions,
Conferences, MLMC, Training (once that is established). Perhaps Ray or
someone else could suggest others that I have not thought to include in the
list.

Best,
Neil

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Daniel O'Donnell <daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
> wrote:

> Here is the state of play in terms of the GO::DH structure and terms of
> reference as I understand the discussion. If this seems reasonable, I could
> add it to the draft description I sent round and we could submit it to the
> ADHO Steering Committee for discussion.
>
> 1) The organisation is a Special Interest Group focussed on ensuring
> issues in the global participation in DH are part of our general discourse
> at ADHO and serving as a facilitator between ADHO, its committees, COs, and
> members and those communities that are not represented by ADHO in any
> significant fashion.
>
> 2) Tasks include advocacy, research, and facilitation. GO::DH is not a
> replacement or competitor for any ADHO committee: its goal is to act as a
> resource and prompt, rather than an executor.
>
> 3) There is no limit on general membership. The important thing is that
> you are interested in the issue(s).
>
> 4) The group is to be led by a small executive made up of people who are
> willing to take a more active role in proposing activities, interacting
> with ADHO, conducting research, and the like. Ideally this will involve
> people with interests in various parts of the globe.
>
> 5) Participation by ADHO COs and committees would be extremely welcome if
> this seems wise to them and the ADHO SC: two possibilities for this
> participation might be that each CO appoint a representative to the GO::DH
> executive, or, if a lighter footprint is desired, that the SC appoint a
> couple of representatives to act for all (my preference would be the first
> option, I think).
>
> 6) When it seems desirable or practical, the SIG would break into smaller
> working groups focussed on a particular region or problem. Currently there
> is probably enough interest and participation for a group on China, for
> example.
>
> I hope this is both accurate and the right combination of useful structure
> with minimal overhead and maximum flexibility. What do others think?
>
> -dan

Neil Fraistat
Professor of English & Director
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH)
0301 Hornbake Library
University of Maryland
301-405-5896 or 301-314-7111 (fax)
http://www.mith.umd.edu/