[globaloutlookDH-l] Terms of reference, redux

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Thu Oct 18 12:23:36 MDT 2012

I agree. I think this proposal also avoids the potential for conflict in
mandate with the Multilingual and MultiCultural committee. Elisabeth was
quite comfortable with everything last time we talked, but I have still
always worried about mandates clashing in practice or appearance.

The only caveat I would suggest to this is is that I think it would be a
mistake to see us as working narrowly on admissions issues. GO::DH seems
to me to be more community development rather than straight on
admissions--though that is obviously not in conflict with admissions.

So, for example, a perfectly reasonable result would be an increase in
African individual participation in the ALLC, or Latin American
participation at DH, rather than the creation of an African or Latin
American DH society.

I realise that narrowly focussing on admission to ADHO was not what was
being suggested. My point only is that if a danger of being not assigned
to admissions is that the mandate might start creeping around, a danger
the other way is that association under admissions might have a
psychological effect of narrowing it.

I still think this is a great idea, though. Probably the thing to do is
make sure the language about the mission and range of activities is very
good.

I think there have been some real steps forward here!

-dan