[globaloutlookDH-l] Terms of reference, redux

Neil Fraistat nfraistat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:34:07 MDT 2012

Right, Dan. The point would be that Admissions hands off the relevant
follow up to the appropriate committee; much of what arises will certainly
not concern admission at the organization level.

Neil

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Daniel O'Donnell
<daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca>wrote:

> I agree. I think this proposal also avoids the potential for conflict in
> mandate with the Multilingual and MultiCultural committee. Elisabeth was
> quite comfortable with everything last time we talked, but I have still
> always worried about mandates clashing in practice or appearance.
>
> The only caveat I would suggest to this is is that I think it would be a
> mistake to see us as working narrowly on admissions issues. GO::DH seems to
> me to be more community development rather than straight on
> admissions--though that is obviously not in conflict with admissions.
>
> So, for example, a perfectly reasonable result would be an increase in
> African individual participation in the ALLC, or Latin American
> participation at DH, rather than the creation of an African or Latin
> American DH society.
>
> I realise that narrowly focussing on admission to ADHO was not what was
> being suggested. My point only is that if a danger of being not assigned to
> admissions is that the mandate might start creeping around, a danger the
> other way is that association under admissions might have a psychological
> effect of narrowing it.
>
> I still think this is a great idea, though. Probably the thing to do is
> make sure the language about the mission and range of activities is very
> good.
>
> I think there have been some real steps forward here!
>
> -dan
>

> On 12-10-18 09:10 AM, Marcus Bingenheimer wrote:
>
>> Neil and Ray,
>>
>> Personally I would be very comfortable working within this framework
>> (GO::DH reporting to Admissions). It seems like a good basis for
>> discussions with prospective ADHO or Centernet members in India and China.
>>
>> marcus
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Marcus Bingenheimer 馬德偉
>> Department of Religion, Temple University
>> http://mbingenheimer.net

Neil Fraistat
Professor of English & Director
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH)
0301 Hornbake Library
University of Maryland
301-405-5896 or 301-314-7111 (fax)
http://www.mith.umd.edu/