[globaloutlookDH-l] Terms of reference, redux

Short, Harold harold.short at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 18 14:54:29 MDT 2012

Dear All

Sorry to be chipping a bit late into the conversation, but a quick note to say that in principle I'm entirely content with the suggestion that GO::DH operate within the ambit of the Admissions Committee.  Picking up Dan's concern about scope - and indeed Neil's language, here are two clauses already in the Terms of Reference of the Admissions Committee, as approved in Hamburg:

5.          Outreach and Advice.  To initiate as well as respond in discussions with associations whose interests overlap with or are complementary to those of ADHO, in order to explore the suitability and desirability of a formal relationship wih ADHO, whether as a CO or AO.

6.          Support for new or emergent associations.  To offer advice and support for groups who have recently formed a digital humanities association or who are planning to do so.  Where potential COs are concerned, the emphasis will be on geographical regions where no such organisation yet exists, or where there is not yet a CO within the ADHO family.

We'll certainly want to make some amendments to the ToR document to reflect the final decisions on GO::DH, but there already seems to be a natural 'flow' from the general outreach activities proposed for GO::DH to the Admissions Committee remit - i.e. GO::DH will be exploring and cultivating relationships, and if/when these seem to be leading towards the formation of associations or expressions of interest from associations in developing closer formal links with ADHO, then the full Admissions Committee would become involved.

And as a final thought, it's perhaps worth bearing in mind that already the Admissions Protocol envisages groups that may want to have 'Associate' status.  So far we have no-one in this category, so we have no prior experience to draw on, but there would be lots of possibilities within this framework for possible links that would have a degree of formality but not full 'constituent organisation' status. What I'm saying is that this could be another natural 'handover' from GO::DH to the main Admissions Committee.

Best wishes
Harold