[globaloutlookDH-l] DH session proposal "Chinese DH"

Neil Fraistat nfraistat at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:30:11 MDT 2012

Dear Marcus,

Just to be clear: I am happy to propose to the ADHO SC that we split the
business meeting in order to run such a session and am hopeful that they
will agree, but it would have to be voted on by the SC first. So it would
be a mistake to take this as a given until the SC has agreed.

Best,
Neil

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Marcus Bingenheimer <
m.bingenheimer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Below a proposal for a GO::DH session at the DH 2013.
> Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
> The application deadline is Thursday so there is not much time left but
> there is still time for changes.
>
> greetings from Philadelphia
>
> marcus
> waiting for the hurricane
>
> =============================
> ADHO GO:DH Session on “Chinese DH”
>
> The newly founded ADHO initiative Global Outreach (GO::DH) aims to
> facilitate communication between the various ADHO committees and emergent
> DH groups and activities in countries which are not yet well represented
> within ADHO. This session proposal is one of GO::DH attempts to raise the
> visibility of underrepresented communities, in this case, of work done in
> the Chinese speaking world.
>
> Like all cultures, China is faced with the question of how to model its
> cultural heritage in a digital environment. Comparable only to India in
> historic range, geographic size, and population, there are various
> initiatives in China, Hongkong and Taiwan that work on solutions to
> digitize and distribute their shared cultural heritage. After successful
> international cooperation yielded the Unicode standard, which resolved the
> pressing issue of how to represent the logographic writing system in
> computing, continued dialog on standards and practices in DH is of mutual
> interest for both ADHO members and the emerging DH centers in China,
> Hongkong and Taiwan. In East Asia, efforts by Japanese practitioners of DH
> has already resulted in the foundation of the Japanese Association of
> Digital Humanities, which joined ADHO last year, an important development
> in the globalization of the field. In the Chinese speaking world too there
> is great potential for dialog, synergy and cooperation between DH centers
> to discuss standards and practices. Communication about shared standards
> generally improves the chances that the results are interchangeable, avoids
> duplication of efforts, and increases efficiency.
>
> As internationalization and support for developing, regional centers is
> part of ADHO’s mission, the members of the GO::DH feel it is desirable to
> organize a roundtable on “Chinese DH” with representatives from China,
> Taiwan, Hongkong and perhaps Singapore to speak about the situation of DH
> in their societies and the prospects and potential problems for further
> collaboration with both within East Asia as well as with ADHO members.
>
> Following a discussion on the globaloutlookdh list regarding the possible
> format for such a roundtable, Neil Fraistat, the current Chair of ADHO,
> offered to split the ADHO business meeting and use the second 45 min
> section to a ADHO GO::DH roundtable on “Chinese DH”.
>
> We plan to invite at least one representative from China, Hongkong and
> Taiwan to speak for 10 min to provide the audience with a quick overview of
> [...]

Neil Fraistat
Professor of English & Director
Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH)
0301 Hornbake Library
University of Maryland
301-405-5896 or 301-314-7111 (fax)
http://www.mith.umd.edu/