[globaloutlookDH-l] DH session proposal "Chinese DH"

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 18:53:50 MDT 2012

Dear all,

Neil, from Marcus' message I gather he is proposing a session for the
regular academic program, similar in some way to the one done by Japanese DH
supporters in London 2010. I think that was quite a successful session and
can serve as a good model. Albeit the time is short, I would think it would
be worth trying to get this submitted for the regular process and keep the
possibility of a lunch-time event as plan B for the moment.

As to Marcus' proposal: From the wording it is not clear to me if this is
about "DH in China" or "DH about China". I assume it should be the former.
The reason I bring this up is again an observation from the Japanese (and
also German) experience, where early efforts in DH where driven by people in
English or Linguistic departments. So I think strategically, it would be
important to be as inclusive as possible and emphasize that all DH efforts
in the Chinese speaking world are a target for us.

Just my 2 cents with greetings from Kyoto.

Christian

On 2012-10-30 09:30, Neil Fraistat wrote:
> Dear Marcus,
>
> Just to be clear: I am happy to propose to the ADHO SC that we split the
> business meeting in order to run such a session and am hopeful that they
> will agree, but it would have to be voted on by the SC first. So it would
> be a mistake to take this as a given until the SC has agreed.
>
> Best,
> Neil
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Marcus Bingenheimer
> <m.bingenheimer at gmail.com <mailto:m.bingenheimer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     Below a proposal for a GO::DH session at the DH 2013.
>     Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
>     The application deadline is Thursday so there is not much time left
>     but there is still time for changes.
>
>     greetings from Philadelphia
>
>     marcus
>     waiting for the hurricane
>
>     =============================
>     ADHO GO:DH Session on “Chinese DH”
>
>     The newly founded ADHO initiative Global Outreach (GO::DH) aims to
>     facilitate communication between the various ADHO committees and
>     emergent DH groups and activities in countries which are not yet well
>     represented within ADHO. This session proposal is one of GO::DH
>     attempts to raise the visibility of underrepresented communities, in
>     this case, of work done in the Chinese speaking world.
>
>     Like all cultures, China is faced with the question of how to model
>     its cultural heritage in a digital environment. Comparable only to
>     India in historic range, geographic size, and population, there are
>     various initiatives in China, Hongkong and Taiwan that work on
>     solutions to digitize and distribute their shared cultural heritage.
>     After successful international cooperation yielded the Unicode
>     standard, which resolved the pressing issue of how to represent the
>     logographic writing system in computing, continued dialog on standards
>     and practices in DH is of mutual interest for both ADHO members and
>     the emerging DH centers in China, Hongkong and Taiwan. In East Asia,
>     efforts by Japanese practitioners of DH has already resulted in the
>     foundation of the Japanese Association of Digital Humanities, which
>     joined ADHO last year, an important development in the globalization
>     of the field. In the Chinese speaking world too there is great
>     potential for dialog, synergy and cooperation between DH centers to
>     discuss standards and practices. Communication about shared standards
>     generally improves the chances that the results are interchangeable,
>     avoids duplication of efforts, and increases efficiency.
>
>     As internationalization and support for developing, regional centers
>     is part of ADHO’s mission, the members of the GO::DH feel it is
>     desirable to organize a roundtable on “Chinese DH” with
>     representatives from China, Taiwan, Hongkong and perhaps Singapore to
>     speak about the situation of DH in their societies and the prospects
> [...]

Christian Wittern, Kyoto