[globaloutlookDH-l] DH session proposal "Chinese DH"

Marcus Bingenheimer m.bingenheimer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:23:56 MDT 2012

Dear Christian,

Dan, Neil and I were rather thinking of the ADHO lunch-time event. We felt
we are somewhat too late to organize a regular panel. Also it seems that
right now no one can right now make the commitment to organize and
(co-)chair a regular session. I hope we would be able to find speakers who
can represent their regions for this short meeting.
To clarify: "Chinese DH" means DH work done in the Chinese speaking
world independently of subject matter.

all the best

marcus

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Christian Wittern <cwittern at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Neil, from Marcus' message I gather he is proposing a session for the
> regular academic program, similar in some way to the one done by Japanese
> DH supporters in London 2010. I think that was quite a successful session
> and can serve as a good model. Albeit the time is short, I would think it
> would be worth trying to get this submitted for the regular process and
> keep the possibility of a lunch-time event as plan B for the moment.
>
> As to Marcus' proposal: From the wording it is not clear to me if this is
> about "DH in China" or "DH about China". I assume it should be the former.
> The reason I bring this up is again an observation from the Japanese (and
> also German) experience, where early efforts in DH where driven by people
> in English or Linguistic departments. So I think strategically, it would be
> important to be as inclusive as possible and emphasize that all DH efforts
> in the Chinese speaking world are a target for us.
>
> Just my 2 cents with greetings from Kyoto.
>
> Christian
>

> On 2012-10-30 09:30, Neil Fraistat wrote:
>
>> Dear Marcus,
>>
>> Just to be clear: I am happy to propose to the ADHO SC that we split the
>> business meeting in order to run such a session and am hopeful that they
>> will agree, but it would have to be voted on by the SC first. So it would
>> be a mistake to take this as a given until the SC has agreed.
>>
>> Best,
>> Neil
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Marcus Bingenheimer <
>> m.bingenheimer at gmail.com <mailto:m.bingenheimer at gmail.**com<m.bingenheimer at gmail.com>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Dear all,
>>
>>     Below a proposal for a GO::DH session at the DH 2013.
>>     Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
>>     The application deadline is Thursday so there is not much time left
>>     but there is still time for changes.
>>
>>     greetings from Philadelphia
>>
>>     marcus
>>     waiting for the hurricane
>>
>>     =============================
>>     ADHO GO:DH Session on “Chinese DH”
>>
>>     The newly founded ADHO initiative Global Outreach (GO::DH) aims to
>>     facilitate communication between the various ADHO committees and
>>     emergent DH groups and activities in countries which are not yet well
>>     represented within ADHO. This session proposal is one of GO::DH
>>     attempts to raise the visibility of underrepresented communities, in
>>     this case, of work done in the Chinese speaking world.
>>
>>     Like all cultures, China is faced with the question of how to model
>>     its cultural heritage in a digital environment. Comparable only to
>>     India in historic range, geographic size, and population, there are
>>     various initiatives in China, Hongkong and Taiwan that work on
>>     solutions to digitize and distribute their shared cultural heritage.
>>     After successful international cooperation yielded the Unicode
> [...]

Dr. Marcus Bingenheimer 馬德偉
Department of Religion, Temple University
http://mbingenheimer.net