[globaloutlookDH-l] DH session proposal "Chinese DH"

Christian Wittern cwittern at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 19:39:02 MDT 2012

Dear Marcus,

Thanks for the clarifications. I guess the reason for my confusion is that
you were talking about the Nov. 1 deadline, which I assumed to be the
deadline for academic proposals. Does the lunch time event also has a
deadline for proposals on that same day?
Anyway, even if that was not your intention, I think it would be worth
thinking about proposing a regular session.

All the best, Christian

On 2012-10-30 10:23, Marcus Bingenheimer wrote:
> Dear Christian,
>
> Dan, Neil and I were rather thinking of the ADHO lunch-time event. We felt
> we are somewhat too late to organize a regular panel. Also it seems that
> right now no one can right now make the commitment to organize and
> (co-)chair a regular session. I hope we would be able to find speakers who
> can represent their regions for this short meeting.
> To clarify: "Chinese DH" means DH work done in the Chinese speaking world
> independently of subject matter.
>
> all the best
>
> marcus
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Christian Wittern <cwittern at gmail.com
> <mailto:cwittern at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     Neil, from Marcus' message I gather he is proposing a session for the
>     regular academic program, similar in some way to the one done by
>     Japanese DH supporters in London 2010. I think that was quite a
>     successful session and can serve as a good model. Albeit the time is
>     short, I would think it would be worth trying to get this submitted
>     for the regular process and keep the possibility of a lunch-time event
>     as plan B for the moment.
>
>     As to Marcus' proposal: From the wording it is not clear to me if this
>     is about "DH in China" or "DH about China". I assume it should be the
>     former. The reason I bring this up is again an observation from the
>     Japanese (and also German) experience, where early efforts in DH where
>     driven by people in English or Linguistic departments. So I think
>     strategically, it would be important to be as inclusive as possible
>     and emphasize that all DH efforts in the Chinese speaking world are a
>     target for us.
>
>     Just my 2 cents with greetings from Kyoto.
>
>     Christian
>

>     On 2012-10-30 09:30, Neil Fraistat wrote:
>
>         Dear Marcus,
>
>         Just to be clear: I am happy to propose to the ADHO SC that we
>         split the business meeting in order to run such a session and am
>         hopeful that they will agree, but it would have to be voted on by
>         the SC first. So it would be a mistake to take this as a given
>         until the SC has agreed.
>
>         Best,
>         Neil
>
>         On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Marcus Bingenheimer
>         <m.bingenheimer at gmail.com <mailto:m.bingenheimer at gmail.com>
>         <mailto:m.bingenheimer at gmail.com
>         <mailto:m.bingenheimer at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>
>         Dear all,
>
>         Below a proposal for a GO::DH session at the DH 2013.
>         Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
>         The application deadline is Thursday so there is not much time left
>         but there is still time for changes.
>
>         greetings from Philadelphia
>
>         marcus
>         waiting for the hurricane

>         ADHO GO:DH Session on “Chinese DH”
>
>         The newly founded ADHO initiative Global Outreach (GO::DH) aims to
> [...]

Christian Wittern, Kyoto