[globaloutlookDH-l] DH session proposal "Chinese DH"

Neil Fraistat nfraistat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:09:18 MDT 2012

I don't see how the SC could approve it by Thursday, Marcus, especially
because we don't have any speakers lined up.

To do it as part of an ADHO lunchtime business meeting, however, would free
us from the Nov. 1 deadline and provide time to put a full potential
program together.

Best,
Neil

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM, Marcus Bingenheimer <
m.bingenheimer at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> =============================
>>> ADHO GO:DH Session on “Chinese DH”
>>>
>>> The newly founded ADHO initiative Global Outreach (GO::DH) aims to
>>> facilitate communication between the various ADHO committees and emergent
>>> DH groups and activities in countries which are not yet well represented
>>> within ADHO. This session proposal is one of GO::DH attempts to raise the
>>> visibility of underrepresented communities, in this case, of work done in
>>> the Chinese speaking world.
>>>
>>> Like all cultures, China is faced with the question of how to model its
>>> cultural heritage in a digital environment. Comparable only to India in
>>> historic range, geographic size, and population, there are various
>>> initiatives in China, Hongkong and Taiwan that work on solutions to
>>> digitize and distribute their shared cultural heritage. After successful
>>> international cooperation yielded the Unicode standard, which resolved the
>>> pressing issue of how to represent the logographic writing system in
>>> computing, continued dialog on standards and practices in DH is of mutual
>>> interest for both ADHO members and the emerging DH centers in China,
>>> Hongkong and Taiwan. In East Asia, efforts by Japanese practitioners of DH
>>> has already resulted in the foundation of the Japanese Association of
>>> Digital Humanities, which joined ADHO last year, an important development
>>> in the globalization of the field. In the Chinese speaking world too there
>>> is great potential for dialog, synergy and cooperation between DH centers
>>> to discuss standards and practices. Communication about shared standards
>>> generally improves the chances that the results are interchangeable, avoids
>>> duplication of efforts, and increases efficiency.
>>>
>>> As internationalization and support for developing, regional centers is
>>> part of ADHO’s mission, the members of the GO::DH feel it is desirable to
>>> organize a roundtable on “Chinese DH” with representatives from China,
>>> Taiwan, Hongkong and perhaps Singapore to speak about the situation of DH
>>> in their societies and the prospects and potential problems for further
>>> collaboration with both within East Asia as well as with ADHO members.
>>>
>>> Following a discussion on the globaloutlookdh list regarding the
>>> possible format for such a roundtable, Neil Fraistat, the current Chair of
>>> ADHO, offered to split the ADHO business meeting and use the second 45 min
>>> section to a ADHO GO::DH roundtable on “Chinese DH”.
>>>
>>> We plan to invite at least one representative from China, Hongkong and
>>> Taiwan to speak for 10 min to provide the audience with a quick overview of
>>> activities, followed by a 15 min roundtable discussion with the speakers
>>> and one or two GO::DH members. Possible questions to explore: What are the
>>> prospects for further national or regional organization in East Asia? How
>>> can we make better use of existing structures to further the globalization
>>> of Chinese DH? How viable, e.g., would be a panel in Chinese at the next DH?

>>> 2. DH in Hongkong (10min)
>>> 3. DH in Taiwan (10min)