[globaloutlookDH-l] DH session proposal "Chinese DH"

Øyvind Eide oyvind.eide at iln.uio.no
Wed Oct 31 07:43:31 MDT 2012

Just a small comment from the sideline (I have nothing to contribute to =
such a session): if you make a panel rather than a session you only need =
one 750-1500 abstract.=20

Regards,

=1B.A=1BNXyvind

On 31. okt. 2012, at 14:39, O'Donnell, Dan wrote:

> with the extension of the deadline we have a couple of extra days if =
we want to go the full regular session root.
>=20
> This would involve confirming speakers, including, I think thinking of =
a name from the mainland, getting abstracts from the speakers and I =
believe coming up with a session rationale.
>=20
> Whether this is doable depends on how people feel about it and other =
time commitments between now and the weekend.
>=20
> Since I don't know anything about the subject  area I can't do much at =
the front end .I could handle copy- editing for English -- both by =
myself and using grad students who work in the journal incubator -- and =
if necessary submission admin.
>=20
> What do the rest of you think?
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Sent from Samsung tablet
>=20
> Jieh Hsiang <jieh.hsiang at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>=20
> I can do the Taiwanese part if no one has a better candidate.  For =
Hong Kong
> I would recommend Ping-Chen Hsiung, a Professor of History and a
> former Dean of Arts at the Chinese U. of HK.
> Don't have anyone of similar caliber in China to recommend, though.
>=20
> Jieh
>=20
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM, O'Donnell, Dan
> <daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca> wrote:
>> Sorry, one last thing.
>>=20
>> If we do decide to go the business - meeting route,we could do =
probably much the same as for a session. while it would free us from =
some deadline pressure, I'd still propose working on it now while we are =
thinking about it and have Marcus's proposal in front of us as either a =
draft or a prompt.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Sent from Samsung tablet
>>=20
>> "O'Donnell, Dan" <daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca> wrote:
>> This is how I'd understood things too. To be honest, since this is =
our first project and we are also still drafting a terms of reference =
(and doing it during a hurricane, no less) this is maybe even the best =
way. I think we could probably incorporate Christian's suggestions into =
this kind of proposal.
>>=20
>> Alternatively we would need to get speakers and throw together the =
program by Thursday (assuming no hurricane- related extensions arise).
>>=20
>> While Marcus has given us a great text to start that might, be too =
high a hurdle. Though I cede to your collective knowledge of the =
potential pool of speakers.
>>=20
>> People on this list in the hurricane affected area include Neil Peter =
and Marcus.  , I hope you all weathered it!.
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Sent from Samsung tablet
>>=20
>> Neil Fraistat <nfraistat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see how the SC could approve it by Thursday, Marcus, =
especially because we don't have any speakers lined up.
>>=20
>> To do it as part of an ADHO lunchtime business meeting, however, =
would free us from the Nov. 1 deadline and provide time to put a full =
potential program together.
<nfraistat at gmail.com<mailto:nfraistat at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Dear Marcus,
>>=20
>> Just to be clear: I am happy to propose to the ADHO SC that we split =
the business meeting in order to run such a session and am hopeful that =
they will agree, but it would have to be voted on by the SC first. So it =
would be a mistake to take this as a given until the SC has agreed.
>>=20
>> Best,
>> Neil
>>=20
>> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Marcus Bingenheimer =
<m.bingenheimer at gmail.com<mailto:m.bingenheimer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>=20
>> Below a proposal for a GO::DH session at the DH 2013.
>> Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
>> The application deadline is Thursday so there is not much time left =
but there is still time for changes.
>>=20
>> greetings from Philadelphia
>>=20
>> marcus
>> waiting for the hurricane
>>=20
>> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>> ADHO GO:DH Session on =1B$B!H=1B(BChinese DH=1B$B!I=1B(B
>>=20
>> The newly founded ADHO initiative Global Outreach (GO::DH) aims to =
facilitate communication between the various ADHO committees and =
emergent DH groups and activities in countries which are not yet well =
represented within ADHO. This session proposal is one of GO::DH attempts =
to raise the visibility of underrepresented communities, in this case, =
of work done in the Chinese speaking world.
>>=20
>> Like all cultures, China is faced with the question of how to model =
its cultural heritage in a digital environment. Comparable only to India =
in historic range, geographic size, and population, there are various =
initiatives in China, Hongkong and Taiwan that work on solutions to =
digitize and distribute their shared cultural heritage. After successful =
international cooperation yielded the Unicode standard, which resolved =
the pressing issue of how to represent the logographic writing system in =
computing, continued dialog on standards and practices in DH is of =
mutual interest for both ADHO members and the emerging DH centers in =
China, Hongkong and Taiwan. In East Asia, efforts by Japanese =
practitioners of DH has already resulted in the foundation of the =
Japanese Association of Digital Humanities, which joined ADHO last year, =
an important development in the globalization of the field. In the =
Chinese speaking world too there is great potential for dialog, synergy =
and cooperation between DH centers to discuss standards and practices. =
Communication about shared standards generally improves the chances that =
the results are interchangeable, avoids duplication of efforts, and =
increases efficiency.
>>=20
>> As internationalization and support for developing, regional centers =
is part of ADHO=1B.F=1BN"s mission, the members of the GO::DH feel it is =
desirable to organize a roundtable on =1B$B!H=1B(BChinese DH=1B$B!I=1B(B =
with representatives from China, Taiwan, Hongkong and perhaps Singapore =
to speak about the situation of DH in their societies and the prospects =
and potential problems for further collaboration with both within East =
Asia as well as with ADHO members.
>>=20
>> Following a discussion on the globaloutlookdh list regarding the =
possible format for such a roundtable, Neil Fraistat, the current Chair =
of ADHO, offered to split the ADHO business meeting and use the second =
45 min section to a ADHO GO::DH roundtable on =1B$B!H=1B(BChinese =
DH=1B$B!I=1B(B.
>>=20
>> We plan to invite at least one representative from China, Hongkong =
and Taiwan to speak for 10 min to provide the audience with a quick =
overview of activities, followed by a 15 min roundtable discussion with =
the speakers and one or two GO::DH members. Possible questions to =
explore: What are the prospects for further national or regional =
organization in East Asia? How can we make better use of existing =
structures to further the globalization of Chinese DH? How viable, e.g., =
would be a panel in Chinese at the next DH?