[globaloutlookDH-l] Closing the Gap

Bordalejo, Barbara bab995 at mail.usask.ca
Fri Aug 23 12:39:22 MDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

During the last few weeks I have reviewed some articles (all in English) by non-native speakers. Some times they are almost perfect, some others they are far from it. I know that my own texts suffer the same problems. Clearly, this is a factor that keeps scholars, who are not native speakers of English, marginalised.

We had a similar discussion on the subject of the Anglo-American (and Canadian) hegemony in the field, but I don't recall a concrete solution being offered. In any case, I have an idea that might be helpful. I was wondering whether I could ask those of you with native or near-native English skills to volunteer to proof articles to avoid rejections based on bad expression or avoidable mistakes.

If you think that you can contribute to this, send me an e-mail and I will compile a list of volunteers to put in the GO::DH website.

Thank you for your help,

BB