[globaloutlookDH-l] Closing the Gap

Marin Dacos marin.dacos at openedition.org
Wed Aug 28 03:29:48 MDT 2013

This is a very interesting proposal. I am not sure if is doable, because it
will become a heavy task to do for native speakers, and these task will be
in competition with other, much more valuated in the acadamy, such as
writing books or articles for their own.
How could we solve this issue?
Best regards,
Marin

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Bordalejo, Barbara <bab995 at mail.usask.ca>wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> During the last few weeks I have reviewed some articles (all in English)
> by non-native speakers. Some times they are almost perfect, some others
> they are far from it. I know that my own texts suffer the same problems.
> Clearly, this is a factor that keeps scholars, who are not native speakers
> of English, marginalised.
>
> We had a similar discussion on the subject of the Anglo-American (and
> Canadian) hegemony in the field, but I don't recall a concrete solution
> being offered. In any case, I have an idea that might be helpful. I was
> wondering whether I could ask those of you with native or near-native
> English skills to volunteer to proof articles to avoid rejections based on
> bad expression or avoidable mistakes.
>
> If you think that you can contribute to this, send me an e-mail and I will
> compile a list of volunteers to put in the GO::DH website.
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> BB

Marin Dacos - http://www.openedition.org
Director - Centre for Open Electronic Publishing - CNRS - EHESS -
Aix-Marseille Université (AMU) - Université d'Avignon
OpenEdition is now a Facility of
Excellence<http://www.openedition.org/10221?lang=en>
* *(Equipex)

*Nouvelle adresse postale :*
OpenEdition - 38 Rue Frédéric Joliot Curie - F - 13013 Marseille Cedex 20

Tél : 04 13 55 03 40 Tél. direct : 04 13 55 03 39 Fax : 04 13 55 03 41

Skype : marin.dacos - Google hangout : marin.dacos at openedition.org
Twitter [FR] : http://twitter.com/marindacos<http://twitter.com/#%21/marindacos>
Twitter [EN] : http://twitter.com/openmarin