[globaloutlookDH-l] Closing the Gap

Bordalejo, Barbara bab995 at mail.usask.ca
Wed Aug 28 05:49:10 MDT 2013

Dear Marin,

I can see why you have doubts, however I have a some volunteers already. There are other tasks that might be more valued in academia, but perhaps we should see collegiality and inclusion, and those who seek and promote them, as valuable too. Some scholars already act in this generous way, although perhaps not yet by helping to bridge the language gap. Several years ago, I was told that if I ever saw an academic in a position of power and couldn't immediately spot tangible merits, that I should look at his or her record on speed and reliability of peer-review completion, reference letter writing and other contributions to academia.

I am still looking for volunteers for any language people feel they can contribute to review. And I have been thinking that if this becomes a large enough enterprise, there should be a site where volunteers can sign up and be found.

In the meantime, I want to thank all of those who already put their names forward. I am sure that they know this already but I want to say it anyway: your participation matters, your actions matter and I, personally, feel grateful to find that members of this community have so much to give and such willingness to do so.

All the best,

BB