[globaloutlookDH-l] Closing the Gap

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Aug 28 08:27:23 MDT 2013

What a great idea, Barbara. I'm willing to help!

It occurs to me that we could almost use a system, ironically enough,
like the mechanical turk: I.e. set up a central bourse using something
like conftool or open journal systems where papers could be submitted
and people could volunteer to assist. That system would then handle the
mechanics of pushing the papers out to volunteers and the comments back.

Marin raises a very good point about time and career-value--the more so
since I still owe him a translation. And while I agree with you that
people are good and willing to volunteer, it doesn't hurt to think about
sustainability issues.

This raises a second possibility: I wonder if we could treat the bourse
(if that was a good idea) as a new form of pre-print publishing:
something like the way arXiv.org works for physicists: i.e. a lightly
edited, but non-refereed place where people drop drafts before they
submit to journals. If we used something like commentpress, then we
could crowd source the english correction (and other things) in an open
fashion. I'm on the executive of a group that is focussed on the future
of the scholarly journal (force11.org) whose membership began in the
sciences, I can ask them more about the arXiv model; and of course we
have Marin, who is expert in all things scholarly communication here.

This is probably more than you are thinking of! But I think it would
make sense to think of an infrastructure for handling the mechanics as
easily as possible and the more it looks like a journal, the easier it
is to extract credit (albeit minor credit) from all participants. I
wonder if this is something the more Anglophone ADHO Constituent
Organisations (e.g. ACH, CSDH/SCHN, aaDH) might want to adopt as a
programme as well, encouraging their membership to contribute as public
service.