[globaloutlookDH-l] A proposal for a new working group

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Dec 4 14:59:46 MST 2013

Hi all,

Laurie Taylor and I have just been talking about the idea of setting up
a new working group at DH: a group focused on ways of facilitating
donations of equipment or sharing services. The impetus for this comes
from two projects we are thinking of at the U of L. One is to collect
and donate computers that are being decommissioned this coming spring
university wide (we got a grant to replace a large number of computer
lab and faculty workstations); the other is some web mirroring that we
are looking into doing for a university that doesn't have a very robust
infrastructure. Laurie also knew of examples of donations of computing
equipment in the past to Haiti, for example.

This may be is a little bit more straight aid than is the norm for
GO::DH (which is primarily /not/ about aid but about sharing knowledge,
research, and experience every which way). But it also may be something
we may be able to help each other in: there are some logistics involved
that people who've done this before elsewhere might be able to help
advice on for example; there also may be a need to fundraise for certain
opportunities.

What do others think? Any interest and/or experience?