[globaloutlookDH-l] Proposed bylaws published

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Dec 9 13:37:55 MST 2013

Hi all,

I've been overdue in publishing proposed bylaws for GO::DH. You can now
see them here: http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/proposed-bylaws/

Because GO::DH is an experiment in global community building (and ADHO
SIG development) we began the year without bylaws and set establishing
some as a main task for the founding executive. Over the course of the
last six months or so, the executive and the smaller steering group of
officers has been developing a set of bylaws to establish governance,
elections, and all the other things a community needs if it is to thrive.

The initial work was led by Barbara Bordalejo, who did some research on
the bylaws and comparable scholarly societies and communities. She wrote
a first draft based on those at digitalmedievalist.org. These were then
heavily revised by the steering group, the bylaws committee, and
subsequently the larger executive. The results of that process is
available at the website.

Since we currently don't have any bylaws, the approval process is not
clear. In the absence of any other rules, my proposal is that we open
these bylaws up for discussion on the general list for the next two
weeks. If they prove uncontroversial and it appears that there is a
consensus in favour of their adoption, then, at the end of the two
weeks, we as a community will delegate the Executive to make any final
editorial changes and approve them on our behalf. If, on the other hand,
it appears they are unsatisfactory in some way or that we are not
developing a consensus in their favour, we will ask the executive to
begin a consultation process with a goal of resolving such differences
as quickly as possible and proposing a compromise set of bylaws for a
vote by the entire mailing list membership.

If the bylaws pass over the next two weeks, then the next step will be
soliciting nominations for the new Executive as described in the bylaws.
The elections to the Executive are required to be finished by Feb. 1, 2014.

Please do not be shy about discussing this proposal. Feel free also to
distribute information about it widely and to offer translations and/or
paraphrases.