[globaloutlookDH-l] Derrida and American Attitude

Marcus Bingenheimer m.bingenheimer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 09:40:43 MST 2013

Dear John,

Thanks for the Derrida snippet. I will use it in class as a example for the
sort of cleverly faulty argumentation that one encounters in the Humanities
so often. It is wrong in content ("Cinema is American"), in structure (the
ad-hoc, nonsensical definition of 'American' in "deux choses" - one more
and one less abusive), and in the artful admission and consequent
concealment of his own prejudice "Perhaps my usage of the word 'American'
is a little abusive, bien-sur".
I hope it will remind the students (and myself) how neither cleverness nor
philosophical training protects you from rationalizing your prejudices -
and bullshitting about them.
What does?

marcus

--
Dr. Marcus Bingenheimer 馬德偉
Department of Religion, Temple University