[globaloutlookDH-l] Research bursaries: a request for some advice

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Sun Feb 3 16:02:47 MST 2013

Hi Domenico!

I think this is a great suggestion. And of course why I sent the
proposal to the list for comment. I hadn't mentioned anything about
language and I was assuming, once we had good language, that we would
translate it for distribution. I'd also like the submissions to be
adjudicated and ranked by a panel; I figured we could ensure diversity
of experience and language there too.

In terms of amount of money, I confess I'm a little surprised: my
impression from our graduate students is that a $500 prize for approx.
20 page paper would be considered pretty good. Certainly most scholarly
prizes are less generous.

But, the reason I threw this out was to get this kind of feedback. If
$500 is unreasonably low, then it is unreasonably low.

One thing I certainly had a hard time trying to express was the target
audience for the competition. In Canadian, U.S., and to a certain extent
British contexts, the usual way of describing this target group would be
students, post-docs, junior scholars, independent scholars, and/or the
under-employed. But in other contexts, the research community is quite
different and includes, for example, activitists, writers, publishers
perhaps and other categories.

If it is reasonable to want to focus these awards on junior colleagues
and students, then I'd really appreciate hearing ways of describing the
target audience in ways that respect the different ways we organise
ourselves in different regions and countries.

-dan