[globaloutlookDH-l] Research bursaries: a request for some advice

Domenico Fiormonte domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:30:16 MST 2013

Hi Dan,

I did not mean that 500$ is unreasonably low, but in my experience
higher prizes encourage strongly motivated people (and more engaging
research) to surface and apply. For example, here in Rome (or Milan)
400-500 euros is the average cost of a student room nearby the
university, and usually students work hard for four or five weeks to
earn that sum. I'd say that across continental Europe (Madrid, Paris,
Berlin) there would be not a great difference in terms of lodging
expenses. So if we assume one of these students as a potential target,
150$ would make the difference... and attract more applicants!

But of course this is *my* experience, and others may have a
completely different opinion/experience!

Domenico

(very happy with 500$ anyway)