[globaloutlookDH-l] Around DH in 80 Days

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:34:39 MST 2013

Hello all,

[Versión en español viene de camino]

It is my pleasure to introduce to you one of our first pilot projects at
GO::DH, Around DH in 80 Days!

AroundDH hopes to be a fun way to introduce the work of colleagues around
the world to those who are just starting out. Everyday for 80 days we will
visit a group or projects across the globe. An editorial board will select
a total of 80 groups or projects, one for each day. Groups in the list will
be approached to describe themselves and highlight their work in 200 words
or less. We will do our best to bring attention to digital scholarship
outside of Canada, Europe, the US and Japan. In that sense, we are
departing from a broad and inclusive vision of DH. Besides the audience of
new comers, the global scope of the tour should also attract some of the
more seasoned DH’ers. The greatest challenge of the editorial board is to
balance the geographical margins with the greatest-hits of the northern
mainstream. The greatest hope of the project is to paint enough of a broad
picture of digital humanities to redefine it in the process. Thus, AroundDH
can be read not only as a tour of the globe, but also as a dance around the
periphery of DH.

The project began as an email experiment. One email was sent daily from my
outbox to all the librarians in the H&H division at Columbia with the
subject “The DH Daily.” Everyday, our librarians, who are in the middle of
a 2-year professional development program to become the consultation arm of
our Digital Humanities Center at Columbia, would visit a different DH
center or project. Others outside of Columbia heard about the experiment
and wanted to be included in the email list. The appeal was the small
dosages. Like the librarians, the rise of DH across the land has brought
crowds of DH-curious academic professionals and students to our doors
asking where do I begin?’ At the same time that the emails were going out,
I was slowly but surely becoming part of the conversations around Global
Outlook DH. There we were trying to discover as much as we could about the
world outside the fields of vision of the member-nations of the ADHO.
Eventually these two sets of concerns blend into one, and thus was born the
idea for Around DH in 80 days.

The project is currently being developed by Ryan Cordell’s Doing Digital
Humanities graduate class (#s13dh). You are still welcome to contribute to
our global list. After Ryan’s class develops the first stage of the
project, the project will be passed around the world for refinement. Around
DH indeed!