[globaloutlookDH-l] Research bursaries: a request for some advice

O'Donnell, Dan daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Feb 4 10:13:25 MST 2013

An issue with the idea of course is that money means different things in different economies. But since $500 is not bad in a high income economy, the positive thing is that it generally will mean even more in mid- and low-

In terms of application, I was thinking that we would just put out an open call once we've worked out the terms,topics, and adjudication procedure and committee. Anybody could apply, with our preference being towards students and researchers who are starting out. Does that sound reasonable? '

The only slightly unpleasant thing about the idea is that for legal reasons the winners have to be ultimately approved by me and the work has to be usable in my research (this is just a condition of the funding agency): I say unpleasant because it could introduce an element of arbitrariness. But since an important part of my research is investigating global DH and how it is understood differently by different people, I believe that running an open call and asking a small international committee to recommend the most relevant projects is entirely in keeping with the spirit and letter of the agency's rules.

What did you think of the proposed topics?

Daniel Paul 0'Donnell
Department of English
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge AB T1J  2X5