[globaloutlookDH-l] Digitizing the Caribbean Archive--thoughts?

Ali McGhee alimcghee at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:08:56 MST 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm a PhD candidate and Romanticist at the University of Rochester. My
concentration is the colonial Caribbean in the long (very long) 19th
century, and I've been doing work mostly on Jamaica and Surinam/Guyana,
though I'll be expanding into other parts of the Greater Caribbean in the
future. A long-term goal of mine is to start digitizing more of the
Caribbean archive, and I'm hoping others might be interested in a project
like this. I spent a month working in the National Library in Kingston,
Jamaica, and I would love to go back and begin photographing and digitizing
some of their resources. Their strict rules prohibit photography, but I'm
sure that a few interested scholars could help them see the value in
getting their works online. I would of course love to do this with other
collections, as well!

I feel that pooling our experiences and resources could help kickstart a
project like this. If anyone is interested in beginning such a
collaboration, send me an e-mail off-list at alimcghee at gmail.com.

All best,

J. Alexandra (Ali) McGhee