[globaloutlookDH-l] Digitizing the Caribbean Archive--thoughts?

Taylor,Laurie Nancy Francesca laurien at ufl.edu
Tue Feb 12 11:05:58 MST 2013

Hi Ali (and the group),

I'm emailing everyone in case others have related questions or concerns.

The Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC; www.dloc.com<http://www.dloc.com>) is working on building a Caribbean archive and has many materials already online. For dLOC, partner institutions all digitize materials from their holdings and contribute them to the shared portal where all materials are available as Open Access, and so fully and freely available. Additionally, scholars, librarians, curators, and many other folks frequently partner and collaborate with dLOC to make historical and new works available through dLOC.

When working with different collections and host institutions across the world, the rules on and for photography and digitization can be complex, and so it's always good to work with the institutions to ensure that the digitization supports local institutional needs and shared needs for preservation and access. Different scholars have partnered with different local institutions, including the National Library of Jamaica, for specific projects with the resulting digital materials being available in dLOC.

I'm the technical director for dLOC and am always available to help with anyone interested in working in or on the Caribbean. Brooke Wooldridge, the dLOC Program Director, is also available and I've copied her on this message for ease of communication.

Best wishes,
Laurie N. Taylor, Ph.D.
Digital Humanities Librarian
533 Library West