[globaloutlookDH-l] Call for adjudicators: Lethbridge Digital Humanities research prizes

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Sun Feb 17 15:03:36 MST 2013

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago, we had some discussion on the list about terms
and process for establishing a prize for research on Digital Humanities
in a global context. The prizes are being funded very generously by the
office of the University of Lethbridge's Vice President Research, who
has arranged for some of the University's internal SSHRC funding to
support the work of GO::DH. At the time, we were discussing two tranches
of four prizes of $500 for suitable work.

I would like now to turn this discussion into a real competition. In
keeping with the approach we've been taking at GO::DH, I'd like to do
this by forming a small working group of 4-6 people to help write the
terms of reference, establish deadlines, and, once the competition is
launched, help adjudicate submissions. Since I'd like to offer a Spring
and Fall competition, you should anticipate working on this for about a
year.

As several have pointed out, competitions like that proposed here are
extremely sensitive to unintentional linguistic or cultural biases. For
this reason I'd be extremely interested in ensuring that we have a real
diversity of experience in the committee as we draw up the terms and run
the competition.

If you are interested in working on this project, could you let me know
by Friday February 22nd? Perhaps in the interest of reducing list
traffic, you could contact me directly at the above address.