[globaloutlookDH-l] MLA Report

Alex Gil colibri.alex at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 09:48:48 MST 2013

Dear all,

I just came back from a very exciting MLA <http://www.mla.org/> meeting.
The MLA, for those of you who are not familiar with the organization is the
largest professional organization in the United States for scholars working
in modern languages, including English, Spanish and French. This year was
particularly exhilarating because of a confluence of factors. This year's
president, Michael
Berubé<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_B%C3%A9rub%C3%A9>,
received
a standing ovation for his impassioned presidential adress in defense of
adjunct faculty. DH continued to be on the rise, showcasing now active
detractors<http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2013/01/05/on-the-dark-side-of-the-digital-humanities/>.
Finally, the world of digital scholarship is opening up to the idea of a
true internationalization as a cadre of bright
minds<http://www.nitle.org/live/events/151-race-and-the-digital-humanities-an-introduction>debates
race, gender, sexuality and the digital archive bravely and
productively.

As you can imagine, I was quite busy myself. I offered two talks that touch
on our shared goals and made many new friends who share them. My first talk
was about us directly and the need to get involved this year. The second
was about the possibility of distributing DH archives "through other
means," especially when those archives can meet needs outside of the rich
countries that produce them.

The purpose of these talks was to open the conversation, of course. I was
happy to learn that Cathy
Davidson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Davidson>and
HASTAC <http://hastac.org/> have already begun plans to host their annual
conference in Peru, with the collaboration of digital scholars from South
America. We are planning to meet virtually in February to see where our
efforts overlap, and hopefully begin a collaboration with them with
graduate students as the main focus.

I also had a chance to have a long cup of coffee with Geoffrey
Rockwell<http://www.geoffreyrockwell.com/>,
of DH fame. We talked about possible collaborations with
4Humanities<http://humanistica.ualberta.ca/>,
who as some of you may remember, started a 'correspondent' program in 2011
to learn more about digital scholarship from around the world. We will
continue those conversations with Geoffrey and Alan Liu in the days to
come. Hopefully we will have some good news to report back to you.

In the meantime, I created a couple of *early *drafts for the Around DH in
80 Days<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Km_LuypvHyWacct24KAsOKjLzWKQo2kwMgPL7x9RuBE/edit>project,
which will eventually highlight projects and teams from around the
world. I invite you to become a contributor to the
GoogleDoc<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F3cHJpo4lN0xUYVnTLHuOLWdFGEgEWLy5W-b8YcPSiw/edit>as
soon as you can. In order for us to keep track of who edits what, you
should request permission to edit if you haven't done so already. Just
shoot me a line if you're interested.

I look forward to working with all of you this year!

All the best from New York,
--
Alex Gil
Digital Scholarship Coordinator