[globaloutlookDH-l] Mobile phone explosion in Africa -- and is the digital revolution a good thing?

Peter Robinson peter.robinson at usask.ca
Sat Jun 8 05:54:21 MDT 2013

Folks
mostly I just lurk on this list, but I've just read a couple of things which might be interesting for the group.
Firstly, on the positive side: two blog-posts on the growth of mobile phone usage in Africa, at
http://opensignal.com/blog/2013/02/22/africas-mobile-explosion/
and
http://opensignal.com/blog/2013/06/05/wifi-in-the-sky/
(both by Simon Andersson, who wrote a master's thesis on mobile phone usage in Africa.)  For those who heard Titilola Babalola talk on Monday about her experiences of the internet in Africa, particularly relevant.
Secondly, on the negative side: a long article in the 27 May New Yorker by George Packer (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/05/27/130527fa_fact_packer -- but the whole article is behind a pay wall, ironically) examining the notion that technical progress alone will create a better world -- and pointing out the many ways that the digital revolution so far has created no such thing.
Peter