[globaloutlookDH-l] Seven points on multiculturalism(?)

Domenico Fiormonte domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com
Sat May 4 13:06:40 MDT 2013

Dear all,

apologies if I'll offer my 2 euro-cents reflections on a previous
exciting thread in a disorderly and lengthy fashion. Please skip at
your ease.

1) Speaking of norms, normatives and our everyday struggle to make
sense of the English language, when I read Craig's post I was not sure
I understood 100% of what he was saying. However, I was almost sure
(it happens everyday) that I was missing some linguistic and cultural
nuances. Barbara's comment confirmed this impression. So now I'm
sitting here in front of my computer, writing in language that I've
been studying, reading and writing for twenty years, and I feel a bit
stupid. I got my PhD from the University of Edinburgh back in 2000,
but this will never save me from an ethernal sense of inadequacy. Do
you know how many times I've looked up http://www.wordreference.com or
equivalent websites for composing this email, or deciphering native
speakers' messages?

I would like to suggest to all native speakers of this list, before
sending messages, to consider carefully what language they use, and
ask themeselves (or at least try): "will my [mostly] foreigner
colleagues understand me?"

But of course I am not suggesting to exchange our frustration with
your self-censorship... :-)
Let's think about these not in terms of *limits* but of *constraints*.
Just like a poet writing in verses who must respect a specific metric
or prosodic pattern. Our effort to understand and communicate in
English can be balanced by your excercise to improve clarity.

2) Dan noticed that in my Koln article one table showed a "Canadian",
rather then Anglo-American dominance (at least in terms of people).
But have a look also at the Figure 1 ("DH Organizations: Presence of
Individuals by Country of Institutional Affiliation"): the histogram
shows in a plastic way (look at those peaks) the overwhelming dominion
of the first three countries - USA, Canada and UK.
Those data were collected more than one year ago, and no one would be
happier than me if the situation has changed. Anyway, let me say that
I keep being frustrated at seeing that many colleagues  concentrated
their attention to that part of the article - the infamous tables -
but tended to ignore the rest of it. Those reactions showed that what
really hurts is the risk to be represented as colonialists. I can
appreciate that, but how about the problem of standards? How about the
discussion of knowledge commons? At the end of the text, I proposed to
apply design principles for common-pool resource institutions to the
DH organizations.
Is our community mature enough to discuss these issues?

3) Barbara must have read my mind when she wrote:

> I don't think that anyone is suggesting that there is a specific agenda to
> exclude non-English from DH, but I am also old enough to see that it
> wouldn't be necessary.

:-))

Yes, it is not - and in my opinion it will never be - necessary as
long as ADHO will reflect organizations based in the Northern
emisphere that: 1) include or impose discourses rather than share them
(or give them up!); 2) assume that something called DH globally
exists; 2) push or sell their own teaching programmes, summer schools,
etc. as well as their "open" methodologies, standards and applications
(i.e. TEI, which was designed in the 80s for the purpose of producing
textual resources for the same people and textual cultures who
invented it); 3) recognize the English rhetoric as their privileged
discoursive tool.

I am sorry if this sounds a bit harsh -- but that's what more or less
I think, although I'd be happy to change idea after twenty years of DH
conferences, research and teaching around the globe.
I am also convinced, as I said many times also in public, that 99% of
my Anglo-American colleagues are respectful of all cultures and
languages, and sincere in their effort to change the current
mono-cultural situation. Their evident intellectual generosity is out
of discussion. Our GO::DH SIG is certainly one first important step,
although it still sounds - uncounsciously? - as an "octroyée"
instrument.
Our situation reminds me of Gregory Bateson's ironical paradox: "we
want to change things, but using the same things we find in the world
that we want to change".

4) Ernesto Priego pointed out the interesting problem of the local DH
divides. It seems to me that "divides" are like club sandwiches, with
layers of decreasing (or increasing, depending on which part of the
sandwich you are) prestige. In fact, I always argued that using or not
using English is a false problem. You can publish as much as you want
in the lingua franca, but it is exceptional to be considered relevant
by your "core" scholarly community. I've studied the phenomenon myself
as for discussions and articles on the TEI-XML overlapping hierachies,
and in general for the problem of the digital representation of texts.
One of the most respected scholar in this field is Dino Buzzetti. But
when has he reached "authority"? He has been publishing both in
English and Italian for thirty years, however quotations of his work
among peers boosted when he published his "famous" article in the "New
Literary History" in 2002. This happened when Dino got on his
theoretical side an American scholar of the caliber of Jerome McGann.
Because it's not enough to have good ideas, work in the Northern
emisphere and write them in English: you need good sponsors and
authoritative venues.

5) Three years ago an American publisher asked us to translate our
book "L'umanista digitale" in English. Our volume was recently
reprinted and I think was a little best-seller in the field (it sold
more than 2500 copies in Italy). We were very excited about the
translation, and invested a lot of energies and money in the project.
The publisher asked a sample chapter, letters of support from
international experts, table of contents, detailed project, etc. We
sent them everything and contracted a professional translator. Result:
after six months from delivering, the book was rejected, and one of
the main reasons was that "the tranlsation was not idiomatic".
We were surprised. In fact, what is an "idiomatic translation"? Is it
possible to translate "idiomatically" from one culture to another
culture? I know that there are very few translations of non-English DH
books out there, but what the American publisher was expecting?
Probably an American book.

6) Can we change all this? And how? I insist: we have to imagine
completely new intellectual tools. This include the structures of our
current academic organizations: teaching, researching, publishing...
Everything. But we will not be able to change if first we don't change
are our attitudes, mentality, expectations, and HABITS.

7) Let me conclude this long email with a personal note. What does it
mean to be multicultural? I am afraid I don't know the answer -- like
may of us I guess. I can simply tell you my experience. I've been
working since 2008 with an NGO that thirteen years ago created a
school in a small village of Southern India. I've learned many things
from this people -- both European and Indian --, but perhpas the most
important one was "imparare a disimparare", or "to learn how to forget
your learning" (Viola Padovani, founder of the group). They started
(or at least try) to forget what they knew when they had to deal with
internal ethnic, gender and religious conflicts within the village,
where Muslim, Hindu and Christian communities did *not* cohabit in
harmony. At first, they tried to mediate between them with
"traditional" rhetorical strategies. But they soon realize that the
roots of these conflicts were rooted deeply in the social and cultural
fabric, and their/our concept of "negotiation" was not seen as an
option. So, guees what? They avoided traditional discourses (I mean
literally, "to speak"), and started... to dance! Yes, they invited all
people to gatherings where music and dance were the only shared
language (in all senses), and... suddendly a little miracle happened.
First children, and then adults used this "language" to communicate
between them. It was not enough for a stable peace, but they all
started to accept the existence of the "difference".

This is just an example, limited to a specific context. And no, I am
not suggesting to introduce Indian dancing in DH gatherings ;-).
However, we should be aware that effective cultural exchange processes
can take years and years, and in fact never ends.
Will we be patient enough?

There are no ideal places and neutral cultures, but it is not possible
to "feel" another culture without opening your arms -- and, to a
certain extent, surrender to it. Western analytical understanding
(call it "reason"(?), or whatever you like) will prove, in many
critical situations, useless or counterproductive. You can't really
"understand" another culture. You can just experience it.

Saluti cari a tutt*

Domenico