Re: [globaloutlookDH-l] Announcing the Minimal Computing Working Group (English, Español, Français)

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Tue May 7 11:27:11 MDT 2013

This is great. Can we edit the Spanish title so it says "minimal" and not
"mínimal"? Also, titles in Spanish do not capitalise each noun. But the
important bit is the accent: though the RAE does not list it, "minimal" is
used as an adjective without the accent. Another alternative would be
"Computación minimalista". In music it's normal usage it to translate, for
example, "minimal techno" as "tecno minimal".

Ernesto

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Jentery Sayers (UVic English) <
jentery at uvic.ca> wrote:

>  GO::DH is happy to announce a new working group, "Minimal Computing."
> Below my signature is a description (English,  Español, Français) of the
> group, and the URLs are
> http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/working-groups/minimal-computing/(English),
> http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/grupos-de-trabajo/minimal-computing/?lang=es(Español), and
> http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/informatique-durable/?lang=fr (Français).
>
> If you are interested in participating, or have ideas/recommendations for
> starter projects, then please contact John Simpson (jes6 at ualberta.ca) and
> me (jentery at uvic.ca). Thank you!
>
> Best,
> Jentery
>
> --
> Jentery Sayers, PhD
> Assistant Professor, English
> Director, Maker Lab in the Humanities
> University of Victoriajentery at uvic.ca | http://www.jenterysayers.com/
>
> Minimal Computing
>
> Initial Co-Chairs: Jentery Sayers (University of Victoria) and John
> Simpson (University of Alberta)
>
> Members: Alex Gil (Columbia), Daniel O’Donnell (University of Lethbridge),
> and Jon Saklofske (Acadia University)

> technology in an international context. Questions it hopes to consider
> include:
>
> * In digital humanities and other computing contexts, what is being done
> with what technologies, how, and why?
> * What are best practices for application construction in order to
> maximize availability, decrease obsolescence, and reduce e-waste?
> * How and in what ways does experience in mid- and low-income economies
> inform ongoing assumptions about how research and collaboration are
> conducted in high-income economies?
> * In terms of computing and culture, what meaningful differences emerge
> across economical, infrastructural, and material conditions?
>
> ==========
>
> Computación Mínimal
>
> Directores: Jentery Sayers (University of Victoria) y John Simpson
> (University of Alberta)
>
> Miembros: Alex Gil (Columbia), Daniel O’Donnell (University of
> Lethbridge), y Jon Saklofske (Acadia University)
>
> Descripción: Este es un grupo de trabajo que examina diferentes aspectos
> del uso de la tecnología en un ambito internacional. Entre las preguntas
> que se plantea:
>
> * ¿En las humanidades digitales y otros contextos computacionales, que se
> esta haciendo con las nuevas tecnologías? ¿Como? ¿Por qué?
> * ¿Que prácticas se recomiendan para la construcción de programas que
> ofrezcan el mayor alcance, minimicen la obsolescencia y reduzcan la
> e-basura?
> * ¿De que manera las experiencias de las economias de bajos recursos,
> independientes del pais, puedan ayudar lo que se toma por hecho en las
> economias de alto ingreso?
> * ¿En términos de computación y cultura, cuales son las mayores
> diferencias que surgen en diferentes condiciones económicas,
> [...]

*Dr Ernesto Priego
Lecturer in Library Science, City University London
*
http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Coordinating Editor, The Comics Grid <http://www.comicsgrid.com/>:
http://www.comicsgrid.com/
The Comics & The Multimodal World International
Conference:http://www.thedclab.org/conference/
Please note that my old Yahoo email account is no longer in use.