[globaloutlookDH-l] paper on global DH at re:publica 13

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:11:47 MDT 2013

Thanks very much indeed to David for sharing this link. I recall having
read the title ""Say 'Digital Humanities' One More Time" previously, will
try to dig out if it was the same paper.... the abstract sounds great.
Hopefully this talk/paper will be made available in full soon? Otherwise,
if we were not in Berlin, it seems we've missed it... ;-)

Best

Ernesto

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM, David Golumbia <dgolumbia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> I've been tied up with a number of things lately and been unable to
> complete a response to the earlier thread about multilingualism and
> globalization, which I hope to do soon, as I feel that some of the most
> important issues have not yet been addressed thoroughly enough.
>
> While reading the live tweets (hashtag #rp13) of the re:publica 13
> conference now taking place in Berlin, I ran across this abstract for a
> paper by Nishant Shah, who directs the research portfolio at the Centre for
> Internet and Society in Bangalore (http://cis-india.org/author/nishant).
> It seems to me to speak to some of the issues that have been raised as well
> as some that have not, and that I hope we can discuss more fully in the
> future.
>
> David
>
> "Say 'Digital Humanities' One More Time: Technology, affect and learning
> in emerging information societies"
>
> Nishant Shah <https://re-publica.de/en/users/nishantshah>
>
> One of the ironies of the local-global divide is that certain practices
> within the local sphere often precede the global nomenclatures that are
> assigned to them. ‘Digital Humanities’ is a prime example of this
> phenomenon where a clutch of practices which emerged with the rise of
> digital technologies and their integration into the national policies on
> higher education and learning, are now retrospectively understood as
> ‘Digital Humanities’. So even as the term was gaining currency in the
> European and North American context, becoming one of the buzzwords through
> which new conditions of pedagogy and education were imagined within the
> Universities in the North-West, it had almost no takers in the emerging
> knowledge industries of South Asia in general, and India in particular.
>
> Within this context, it has now become natural, for all talks about
> education to eventually veer towards infrastructure. There is enough reason
> for that, when we look at the pitiful lack of resources in the country
> vis-à-vis the size of the population, and many of the larger problems
> endemic in higher education today, are tied down to this massive
> infrastructure deficit.Simultaneously, there has always been a severe
> fragmentation and compartmentalisation of knowledge systems within the
> academia, which is not restricted to only the Humanities which is
> increasingly facing the pressure to make itself relevant and produce
> work-forces for a global finance driven market.
>
> The questions of professionalising and mainstreaming humanities and social
> sciences education are almost universal right now, and indeed, one of the
> ambitions of Digital Humanities projects which are seeking to find validity
> for education that does not prepare a global information work-force. The
> realignment of the market with the education system, has been critiqued by
> theorists of neo-liberal globalisation, who have pointed out how it enables
> [...]

*Dr Ernesto Priego
Lecturer in Library Science, City University London
*
http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Coordinating Editor, The Comics Grid <http://www.comicsgrid.com/>:
http://www.comicsgrid.com/
The Comics & The Multimodal World International
Conference:http://www.thedclab.org/conference/
Please note that my old Yahoo email account is no longer in use.