[globaloutlookDH-l] paper on global DH at re:publica 13

David Golumbia dgolumbia at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:22:12 MDT 2013

Hi Ernesto and Lee,

This is a great point. I'd be happy to help out on helping to create such a
repository.

The paper has been given already, but Nishant has an academia.edu page with
many other papers posted, many no doubt of interest to list readers (
http://cis-india.academia.edu/NishantShah); I'll try to find out if he
plans to post it or is otherwise willing to distribute it.

David

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Lee Skallerup Bessette <
lee.bessette at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> phenomenon where a clutch of practices which emerged with the rise of
>>> digital technologies and their integration into the national policies on
>>> higher education and learning, are now retrospectively understood as
>>> ‘Digital Humanities’. So even as the term was gaining currency in the
>>> European and North American context, becoming one of the buzzwords through
>>> which new conditions of pedagogy and education were imagined within the
>>> Universities in the North-West, it had almost no takers in the emerging
>>> knowledge industries of South Asia in general, and India in particular.
>>>
>>> Within this context, it has now become natural, for all talks about
>>> education to eventually veer towards infrastructure. There is enough reason
>>> for that, when we look at the pitiful lack of resources in the country
>>> vis-à-vis the size of the population, and many of the larger problems
>>> endemic in higher education today, are tied down to this massive
>>> infrastructure deficit.Simultaneously, there has always been a severe
>>> fragmentation and compartmentalisation of knowledge systems within the
>>> academia, which is not restricted to only the Humanities which is
>>> increasingly facing the pressure to make itself relevant and produce
>>> work-forces for a global finance driven market.
>>>
>>> The questions of professionalising and mainstreaming humanities and
>>> social sciences education are almost universal right now, and indeed, one
>>> of the ambitions of Digital Humanities projects which are seeking to find
>>> validity for education that does not prepare a global information
>>> work-force. The realignment of the market with the education system, has
>>> been critiqued by theorists of neo-liberal globalisation, who have pointed
>>> out how it enables state disinvestment from education and the privatisation
>>> of learning resources. However, even in these existing critiques of Digital
>>> Humanities (whether they use that term or not), there seems to be a
>>> consensual agreement that infrastructure building is necessary and must
>>> happen.
>>>
>>> This talk, critically examines the implications of adopting Digital
>>> Humanities as a principle in emerging information societies, and drawing
>>> from experiments with students in 9 undergraduate colleges in India,
>>> examines the ways in which it needs to reconsider its relationship with the
>>> more accepted ideas of infrastructure, usage, adoption and learning.
>>>

>>> https://re-publica.de/en/sessions/say-digital-humanities-one-more-time-technology-affect-and-learning-emerging-information-so
>>>
>>> --
>>> David Golumbia
>>> dgolumbia at gmail.com

>>> You are currently subscribed to this list in NON-digest mode. This means
>>> you receive every message as it is posted.
>>>
>>> If this represents too much traffic, you can also subscribe in DIGEST
>>> mode. This sends out a single email once a day containing the entire day's
>>> postings. To change your settings go to
>>> http://listserv.uleth.ca/mailman/options/globaloutlookdh-l You can
>>> request a password reminder from this page if you have forgotten yours.
>>>

>> --
>> *Dr Ernesto Priego
>> Lecturer in Library Science, City University London
>> *
>> http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
>> Coordinating Editor, The Comics Grid <http://www.comicsgrid.com/>:
>> http://www.comicsgrid.com/
>> The Comics & The Multimodal World International Conference:http://www.thedclab.org/conference/
>> Subscribe to the Comics Grid Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/iOYAj
>> Please note that my old Yahoo email account is no longer in use.

David Golumbia
dgolumbia at gmail.com