[globaloutlookDH-l] a blog post about global DH

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Wed May 8 07:44:09 MDT 2013

Thanks again, David, for sharing this link.

I am surprised at Andrew's take against the MLA, particularly when I think
it's been one of the few larger professional associations to encourage
digital methods and discussions about DH. (It is also tragically funny that
as an example of how the MLA is "the smallest and most self-absorbed of
worlds" he refers to 'Occupy MLA', which was in fact revealed nothing but a
'performative' prank). Calling the MLA a "horrible institution" is indeed
very harsh and unjustified. Andrew is right to point out how damaging some
of the discourse around DH within MLA circles has been to digital
humanities in general, but can the whole association be held responsible
for what their members say and publish? Isn't this "horrible institution"
Andrew is talking about tenure and the phenomenon of contingent faculty? It
seems to me that is the case.

I think the post holds well without the first two paragraphs, though.
Andrew is spot on in noticing that indeed there is a danger "that DH
becomes one of the means by which an Anglophone globalization of world
culture is implemented."

Three links to my work might complement these views. The first two are
short posts on HASTAC: 'What Is (and Isn't) Digital Humanities (June
2010)http://hastac.org/blogs/ernesto-priego/rt-what-and-isnt-digital-humanities-1<http://4humanities.org/2013/04/rosemary-g-feal-interview/>,
'My Discipline is Bigger than Yours: Digital Humanities and the
Conflict
of the Faculties' (October 2012)
http://hastac.org/blogs/ernesto-priego/2012/10/30/my-discipline-bigger-yours-digital-humanities-and-conflict-faculties
and finally my recent interview with Rosemary Feal, executive director of
the MLA (April 2013) /
http://4humanities.org/2013/04/rosemary-g-feal-interview/.

Best

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM, David Golumbia <dgolumbia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also thought it's worth mentioning the following blog post by Andrew
> Prescott, which takes at least the DH community (or maybe the DH community
> in the US) to task for its failure to be global enough, and mentions
> listmember Dominico Fiormente's work, as well as pointing to the excellent
> Cologne *Controversies around the Digital Humanities* volume edited by
> Manfred Thaller (
> http://hsozkult.geschichte.hu-berlin.de/zeitschriften/ausgabe=6950).
>
> While I personally agree with some of Prescott's notes about the parochial
> nature of *some* DH as practiced in the US, as I am an English professor
> and one of my primary concerns is the effects of DH on English as a
> discipline, I find Prescott's invective toward the MLA more symptomatic
> than helpful.
>
> http://digitalriffs.blogspot.com/2013/05/small-worlds-and-big-tents.html
>
> David
>

> --
> David Golumbia
> dgolumbia at gmail.com

*Dr Ernesto Priego
Lecturer in Library Science, City University London
*
http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Coordinating Editor, The Comics Grid <http://www.comicsgrid.com/>:
http://www.comicsgrid.com/
The Comics & The Multimodal World International
Conference:http://www.thedclab.org/conference/
Please note that my old Yahoo email account is no longer in use.