[globaloutlookDH-l] Some ideas on list language

James O'Sullivan josullivan.c at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:16:13 MDT 2013

Dear all,

I just want to weigh in here behind Professor O'Donnell, and lend my
support to the suggested page on etiquette and tips for emailing in an
international context. This is an issue that I often struggle with, as in
an Irish context, scholarly debates tend to be pretty forthright. I've
often been challenged by colleagues, and have challenged colleagues, in a
fashion that, while to us seems normal, may, to another culture, be
negatively received. I sometimes find myself wondering if my argument is
coming across as too strong or forceful, or conversely, too timid. Of
course, this issue is amplified when different languages come into play.

Speaking as a postgraduate who is still feeling their way through a
multicultural discipline, this is something from which I would personally
benefit, and I'm sure that many other young scholars would feel the same.

Sincerest thanks,
James

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Daniel O'Donnell <daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca

--