[globaloutlookDH-l] Some ideas on list language

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed May 15 15:55:58 MDT 2013

Actually, it might also be worthwhile thinking of these from the
reception side as well, since each point has a flipside, e.g.:

1) Things that seem uber-aggressive to you, might not be meant that way.
It could also be a cultural difference (I don't think that lets us off
remembering to be careful a la point 1 below, but it is worth remembering).

2) Be prepared to tolerate honest ignorance: I know I've committed a
number of faux pas because I haven't known any better and, as a result,
I've taken to asking people (e.g. about correct forms of address, and
the like). I'm grateful to the people who have helped me out!

I think the greater burden is always on the speaker than the listener
when it comes to these kinds of things, but it might do no harm to think
about how to be a successful listener as well.