[globaloutlookDH-l] Some ideas on list language

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Thu May 16 08:46:21 MDT 2013

Thank you everyone. All excellent points.

Ernesto

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Bordalejo, Barbara <bab995 at mail.usask.ca>wrote:

>  Thank you, Dan, for pointing this out. You are completely right that we
> also have to make allowances from the receiving side. I know that I have a
> short fuse when it comes to something *I perceive* as being patronizing or
> in any way demeaning. I should work on this.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  BB
>
>  On 15 May 2013, at 17:55, Daniel O'Donnell wrote:
>
>  Actually, it might also be worthwhile thinking of these from the
> reception side as well, since each point has a flipside, e.g.:
>
> 1) Things that seem uber-aggressive to you, might not be meant that way.
> It could also be a cultural difference (I don't think that lets us off
> remembering to be careful a la point 1 below, but it is worth remembering).
>
> 2) Be prepared to tolerate honest ignorance: I know I've committed a
> number of faux pas because I haven't known any better and, as a result,
> I've taken to asking people (e.g. about correct forms of address, and the
> like). I'm grateful to the people who have helped me out!
>
> I think the greater burden is always on the speaker than the listener when
> it comes to these kinds of things, but it might do no harm to think about
> how to be a successful listener as well.
>

> On 13-05-15 03:10 PM, Alex Gil wrote:
>
> I support all of these points. Well put Dan. I think we should also
> include some of this language into our by-laws under a 'communications'
> rubric.
>
>  Best,
> A.
>

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Daniel O'Donnell <
> daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had somebody ask me the other day about whether there should be any
>> special advice for posting to a list like this--"like this" in the sense of
>> explicitly multicultural, very conscious of multilingual issues, and so on.
>>
>> We've obviously been discussing aspects of language use in a variety of
>> contexts on the list, but I don't think we've had a metadiscussion about
>> how we should post to this list--things to keep in mind, to be careful of,
>> and so on.
>>
>> Here's some of the things I suggested. What do others think?
>>
>> 1) Be really careful about humour, especially humour that could be
>> misread as being dismissive, insulting, or mockery. One reason for this is
>> because, as is well known, email doesn't convey tone well at all. But in
>> the case of this specific list, we are also dealing with a variety of
>> different academic cultures--what comes across as normal bantering in a
>> more free-rolling academic culture may appear to be extremely aggressive in
>> another.
>>
>> 2) Be careful about allusions to pop culture, and national history and
>> politics. Many people may not get them. But more importantly, allusions and
>> inside jokes shared among a small group of people can quickly create a
>> sense of exclusion among those who don't know the references being made.

> [...]

*Dr Ernesto Priego
Lecturer in Library Science, City University London
*
http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Coordinating Editor, The Comics Grid <http://www.comicsgrid.com/>:
http://www.comicsgrid.com/
The Comics & The Multimodal World International
Conference:http://www.thedclab.org/conference/
Please note that my old Yahoo email account is no longer in use.