[globaloutlookDH-l] Scholar and Scientific publication in Mid and Low Income economies

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Sat May 25 13:50:33 MDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm on the executive council at Force11 (http://force11.org/). This is
an organisation interested in the future of scientific publishing, and
especially questions like Open Access business models and
executable/Open Data.

A question that has come up recently there involves what we might
broadly call incubator initiatives: i.e. initiatives that involve
sharing best practice in, support for the development of, or other
community building activities for scientific and scholarly publishing.

I know of a number of such initiatives in the Humanities and Social
Sciences (e.g. Erudit, revues.org, some of the work at the MLA), but all
of them are located in High Income Economies and they tend to operate
with that context in mind. I've recently seen a number of lectures
talking about differences in how Science is published in Mid and Low
regions (particularly at Force11's great "Beyond the PDF 2" conference,
recently held in Amsterdam).

Does anybody know of similar initiatives focused specifically on
publication and dissemination issues in Mid and Low Income regions? Or
focussing on geography rather than income, specifically in Africa, Latin
America, Caribbean, China? I'm as interested in Scientific publishing
and humanities, and within the Humanities both DH and outside that into
more traditional fields.

I should say I'm speaking solely for myself here: our discussion at
Force11 got me thinking.

I appreciate any tips people might be able to supply.