[globaloutlookDH-l] Closing the Gap

Domenico Fiormonte domenico.fiormonte at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 13:21:03 MDT 2013

Dear Jasmin,

thanks for reporting your disappointing experience with the British
publisher. We had a very similar problem with the English translation
of our book "L'umanista digitale" (Il Mulino, 2010), an introduction
to DH that has selled more than 2000 copies in Italy and was already
reprinted. An American publisher in 2010 asked us to translate the
volume, and after a lengthy negotiation we signed a contract in 2011.
I think I've already told the story... anyway although the translation
was made by a professional native speaker, the publisher replied six
months later that "it was not idiomatic". I wonder how a translation
from Italian into English could ever be "idiomatic", but that is not
the problem. The problem was what the publisher was *expecting*:
probably an "American" book. In fact, the first review confirmed the
impression of a huge (but typical) cultural misunderstanding. For
example it is clear that our vision of DH *is not* the vision
currently popular in the Anglo-America world, so the reviewer did not
perceive our point of view as useful or necessary to the DH debate.

So, yes, working on our linguistic gaps would of great help. But
please let's not delude ourselves. Where is the power? Who does rule
the current lingua franca? Until the rhetorical and discursive
standards will be set by an élite of British and American scholars and
their connected "international" publishers, a real -- and *equal* --
cultural exchange and progress will be not possible.

All the best

Domenico