[globaloutlookDH-l] Call for Volunteers (Nomination Committee) and Nominations for election to the Global Outlook::Digital Humanities executive

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Mon Feb 3 01:47:01 MST 2014

In the period December 2013-January 2014, proposed bylaws were
circulated for comment to the community (the bylaws can be found here:
http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/proposed-bylaws/). These bylaws had been
approved by the ad hoc executive we established a year ago to oversee
the first year of the organisation.

The bylaws establish the procedure by which GO::DH shall be governed in
the future. They call for the election of an 8 member executive, from
which a chair shall be chosen. The executive will also be responsible
for appointing all officers. Normally, the executive will be elected to
staggered two year terms, with half the executive up for election each
year. For the first year, all positions on the executive are open: half
the vacancies will be for a one year (renewable) term, the other half
for a two year (renewable) term. Normally, the nominations and elections
will occur in January. For a variety of reasons, not least of which was
the need to circulate the bylaws for comment, we are one month late this
year.

I have recently been given funding to hire an administrative assistant,
Mia Angelica Alcantara-Santiago, who has agreed to serve as returning
officer and chair of the nominations committee for this first election
(in future years, these positions will be held by a member of the
executive who is not up for reelection). We would like, therefore, to
open nominations for candidates for the executive of GO::DH.

Any member of our mailing list may stand for election and
self-nominations are very welcome. If you would like to nominate
somebody for election (including yourself), please email Mia Angelica at
caedmon at uleth.ca. She will need the name and email address of the
nominee. Please ensure that your nominee is willing to stand for
election. Please also ask the nominee if they would prefer to stand for
a one or a two year term (both terms are renewable; in the future, all
terms will be two years). In keeping with the goals and mandate of
GO::DH, we strongly encourage diversity in our nominees: there are no
linguistic, geographic, or other requirements for office and we
encourage nominees from all countries and speakers of all languages to
apply.

Nominations will close February 15. A ballot will then be prepared with
the candidates names and members of the mailing list will be asked to
select up to eight names for election. The ballot will close, one week
after it opens and the first elected GO::DH executive will be announced.

In addition to candidates for election, we are also looking for a few
people to assist in the nominations process. Members of the nomination
committee will be expected to help ensure we have as diverse a pool of
candidates as possible by encouraging people from under-represented
groups to put their names forward. Members of the nomination committee
should not stand for election themselves. If you are willing to serve on
the nominations committee, please contact Mia Angelica at caedmon at uleth.ca

Thanks in advance to all nominees and members of the nomination committee!