[globaloutlookDH-l] When citing emails, do people silently correct typos?

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 07:14:22 MST 2014

It is an interesting question. I suppose some minor typos resulting form
typing too fast could be correced "silently". I do these typing mistakes
all the time; especially when replying form a mobile phone.

As for citing emails I would think a related question is equally important,
that of privacy. Even for listservs, I assume we are saying some things "in
confidence", i.e. we write and send certain things because we are writing
them for and sending them to a particuar list which means particular
receivers, even when we sometimes don't know who are all the members. It's
not the same as when posting openly on Twitter for example, when one
assumes it's all public and anyone can read and therefore cite.

So before citing anything anyone said via email I would check with the
sender if it's OK to cite them, unless there are some terms and conditions
somewhere that say the owner of the list is entitled to cite any messages
sent to the list.

*Dr Ernesto Priego*Lecturer in Library Science
Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
London

City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open
Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on
Wednesday 19
th February to find out more.

MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
cluster on
THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of
Douglas College.
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life

http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
http://www.comicsgrid.com/