[globaloutlookDH-l] When citing emails, do people silently correct typos?

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 09:40:48 MST 2014

Hey Dan,

I did not mean to say to that "the default for contributions to public
scholarly listservs should be considered private", but that the way one
writes in an email is not the way one would write on a public blog post, or
a journal article.

Not all listservs are alike, and some offer public access to the archive,
and others don't (the latter require a membership).

So I see my replies (that are conversational) between members in a given
email lsit as precisely in a grey area, where I am not necessarily writing
with the awareness that I will be cited publicly by others. If this happens
on places like Twitter, where people often get surprised to discover the
reach of their postings (because they more or less assume, with different
degrees of self-conciousness, that their postings are public), it seems
reasonable to me that when one feels one is chatting amongst friends then
discovering one has been cited publicly (making typos for example) could be
a reason to be surprised.

If one wants to be really strict about it yes, I believe that a listserv
that will be completely public should contain a terms and conditions
document stating that members are OK with their postings a) being
completely public and b) being subject to citation, reuse, etc. without
previous consent. I am a CC and OA advocate so I would be more than happy
to subscribe to that; I am saying this because I am aware that perhaps this
is something that not everyone is conscious of (otherwise there wouldn't be
such panic sometimes when some people discover Facebook's or Tumblr's Terms
and Conditions for example). Maybe this sounds boring and paranoid, but if
email is going to be a form of publishing we need to start thinking about
the ways users are expecting to license their postings.

When I write these words, for example, I am replying to you, Dan, knowing
that everyone else in the list will be reading, and that the list is the
ADHO DH Global Outlook Community. My words are addressed to you and the
list, and even if in some region of my mind I am at the same time aware
these words might be read by others outside this list, I am always writing
for this list. Otherwise I would just post it elsewhere; my blog for
example.

If email listserv postings are going to be subject to research by
third-parties, then all members need to be aware of that their right to
confidentiality is being waived. In the majority of research surveys,
respondents should be fully informed about the aims of the survey, and the
respondent's consent to participate in the survey must be obtained and
recorded.

I am also saying this because not all people are equally safe when being
cited. This means that some scholars can be very critical publicly and face
little risk, whilst other scholars in other settings might be more
vulnerable. Often email listservs offer a level of confidentiality (even if
it is just perceived as such) that the open web does not offer (one can
feel one is chatting in cofindence, amongst friends, even if this is not
the case and one is going on the record at all times).

So I'd say that when it comes to citing what someone said in an email (to a
listserv or not) it's always better to be safe and ask if it's OK to
share/cite than sorry... but that's just my personal opinion.

Best,

*Dr Ernesto Priego*Lecturer in Library Science
Acting Course Director, MSc/MA Electronic Publishing, City University
London

City University London offers a wide range of postgraduate courses
delivered by world-leading academics. Register for our Open
Evening<http://www.city.ac.uk/events/2014/feb/postgraduate-open-evening>on
Wednesday 19
th February to find out more.

MediaCommons' THE NEW EVERYDAY is happy to announce the publication of a
cluster on
THE MULTIMODALITY OF COMICS IN EVERYDAY LIFE,
curated by Ernesto Priego of City University London and David N. Wright of
Douglas College.
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/tne/cluster/multimodality-comics-everyday-life

http://epriego.wordpress.com/  @ernestopriego<https://twitter.com/ernestopriego>
Editor-in-Chief, *The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship *
http://www.comicsgrid.com/